Chapter 2: Adjustment

Chronological Memory Recalibration (CMR) The updating of a Rewrite's memory system after changing the present through time travel. These can be memories, feelings, new facts, etc. Referred to as an info dump in slang terms.

  "You're telling me you remember nothing? At all?!"

 I sigh for what seems like the millionth time that day. For the past half hour, my mother hasn't quite seemed to have gotten over the fact that I have no idea what's going on in the current reality I'm in, and has been staring at me like I'm some alien who abducted her daughter. I guess in a way I have: whoever Athena Roberts was in this reality has gone been and replaced by me, a girl that my mother clearly doesn't know.

 "I'm serious," I tell my mum now, ignoring the fact that she's clearly not used to my being annoyed at her. "I woke up in a history class with the psycho that is Mr Clark, and then when I left school I didn't even know that that ass was my boyfriend."

 Mum frowns at me, annoyed. "Mr Clark means well, Athena. And Connor is not an ass. That boy would do anything for you."

 I snort, barely restraining myself from gagging at how clichéd that sounds. Besides, it's not true because Connor is an absolute jerk. I'm almost laughing when I say "Connor? In what crazy world would Connor ever do anything for me? You don't know how he -"

 I stop myself from completing that sentence, again reminding myself that of course mum doesn't know. She doesn't know what Connor did, because in this reality, it never happened. Mum clearly realises this and raises an eyebrow at me. "I'm guessing you didn't like him so much where you came from."

 I try to ignore the way that that sounds like an insult, as though I'm some unwanted alien that's crash landed in our house. I study the paintwork of mum's basement lab as though it's suddenly become fascinating, and before I've managed to work myself up to giving a response,  Art has stuck her head around the door.

 "Mind if I borrow Athena?" She smiles disarmingly as she says it, and mum can't help but smile at her. It gives Art enough time to grab my arm and drag me from the room before mum can say anything. Once we're in the corridor, Art grins at me.

 For a moment, I'm dumbstruck as I look at her. She's standing in front of me, grinning and alive. The last time I saw her, she was dead on the floor of a club, her eyes lifeless. I can't help myself when I throw myself into her arms and hug her, clutching her tightly. Artemis has to extricate herself from the hug, and when she does, she looks surprised. "That bad, huh?"

 I realise then that she's referring to the interrogation I got from mum. I shrug. "Not really, but..." I trail off, letting Art assume for herself. Art shakes her head in disgust.

 "Let me guess, she was being annoyingly overbearing?"

 I smile slightly. "That's one way of putting it, I guess."

 Art shakes her head. "I just don't understand the way she treats you... sometimes she behaves as if you're some alien species and not her own daughter. It's awful." She shakes her head and then says, almost to herself, "no wonder you wanted to live with dad after the divorce."

 I hate to use her in such a way, but Art has given me the perfect in, so I take the plunge. "Why did they have to break up anyway?" I ask, purposefully making my voice sound bitter, even though what I really am is curious. Artemis frowns, but takes the bait.

 "Because they're better this way. Besides, you know why! Dad didn't agree with mum continuing to work at GenoTech after it was bought out by John McLean. He told mum it was him or the job, and, well, you can see the rest." She frowns at me. "You okay?"