Part 19

INT. "THE ROLLING PIN" BAKERY–DAY

LUCY is at the counter and a man gives her a paper bag filled with bread. Lucy is counting her coins and she accidentally drops them. She sighs in frustration, places the bag on the counter before bending down to collect them. She starts to crawl on the ground to search for them and a hand appears in front of her face, all of the change she had dropped in the palm. She looks up to see it was ERLE.

ERLE: You dropped these.

LUCY: Ah, thank you.

Lucy takes the money from him and passes it onto the baker. She then picks up her bag from the counter. Erle follows her and gives a friendly wave. She takes a seat at a table and he takes a seat next to her.

ERLE CONT'D: It's no problem. It's nice seeing you here.

LUCY: Shouldn't you be out exploring? I didn't think I would see you here.

ERLE: I have to show the newbie around. She's still needs to be shown around.

GINA is at the counter and is handed a bag. She tentatively starts nibbling on the pastry with a smile. Lucy watches her with amusement before turning to Erle.

ERLE: What about your siblings?

LUCY: Uh, they're not... Um, never mind. Belinda seemed to have wandered off somewhere. She really wanted the custard filled pastries.

ELRE: The custard filled ones are really popular it seems.

LUCY: Not as good as chocolate cake though.

ERLE: You really miss chocolate cake, huh?

LUCY (awkward laugh): Maybe. It's like a comfort food of sorts.

ERLE: Maybe someone can bake that sometime. I know I can get cocoa powder from the market. People only use it in drinks here but I think we'll be good.

LUCY: I can't bake for shit either.

ERLE: Maybe we can do it together. It could be fun.

LUCY: Sure, I would like that.

BELINDA: Lucy! Did you get them?

BELINDA runs to Lucy and Gina follows her closely.

LUCY: Yeah, they're in the bag.

BELINDA: Gina! You need to try these! They're so good!

Belinda grabs the bag and enthusiastically gives one to Gina.

GINA: What is it?

BELINDA: Happiness rolled up into a ball!

GINA (amused): It better be really good then.

Gina takes a bit of the pastry and her eyes light up in surprise.

BELINDA: It's good right?

Gina nods excitedly and Erle raises an eyebrow.

ERLE: You guys are getting all worked up over food. Is it really a big deal?

BELINDA: Have you tried it yet?

ERLE: No.

BELINDA: Try it.

ERLE: It's just a pastry.

BELINDA: You have to try it if you want to insult it!

ERLE: Okay, fine. I'll go buy one.

Erle gives her an unconvinced stare and takes a step towards the counter.

LUCY: Wait.

Lucy grabs a pastry from her bag. She breaks it in half and gives it to him.

LUCY CONT'D: Here.

ERLE: No, it's fine I can get my own.

LUCY: It's for helping earlier.

ERLE: Ah... thank you.

He takes the piece shyly before eating it.

ERLE: Oh, wow.

BELINDA: See? What did I tell you?

GINA: They're really good.

LUCY: I mean it's alright. Nothing amazing.

BELINDA: Are you kidding me? These are the best!

ERLE: I would probably eat twenty of these all at once.

GINA: These are way better than the pastries I ever had before. These are so good!

LUCY: You're exaggerating it...

BELINDA: I don't even miss chocolate bars anymore honestly, that's how much I like these!

ERLE: I don't think I would want to go back home if it meant missing out on these.

LUCY: Stop.

GINA: I might have to ask for the recipes for this and try it when I get back home, after I do my chores of course.

BELINDA: I want to eat them if you do!

ERLE: Ah, I should probably head home after this outing. My dad mentioned something about preparations for some kind of election or whatever.

LUCY: Are you kidding me?

ERLE: No, the elections are really important—

LUCY (shouts): Have you forgotten? This isn't our home! We don't belong here!

BELINDA: I don't want to go back home...

ERLE: Lucy...

LUCY: No, we can't stay here. We're trying to find ways back home too. Don't tell me you think this whole thing is just a game to you?

GINA: It's really fun...?

BELINDA: I don't get it. Why would you want to go back?

Lucy glares at Belinda but her eyes soften a little when she sees Belinda's hurt expression.

LUCY: You know what. Forget what I said. It doesn't matter.

She hastily grabs her things and starts marching towards the exit.

ERLE CONT'D: Hey... hey... Lucy! Please don't just! Ugh.

GINA: Give her some space. I'm sure she'll be okay.

ERLE: I guess. I feel like I suddenly crossed a line there.

GINA: She'll be okay, right Belinda?

BELINDA: Uh... yeah.

Belinda stares vacantly at the door. She absentmindedly takes a bite of the pastry and the sound of chattering becomes louder.