6| the watcher in the water

Start from the beginning

"Elo..." I gasped in awe, finding myself speechless.

"It reads 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria, Speak Friend and Enter'."

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked from beside me.

"Oh it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." Gandalf replied, placing his staff against a star at the centre of the stone before proceeding to chant a spell.

"Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen! (Gate of the elves, open now for me!)

Silence.

I felt a sudden chill through the air. I glanced back over my shoulder, but there was nothing. All I could see was the lake, the water perfectly still. Not even a single ripple disturbed the surface of the dark water.

I frowned. Perhaps it was just the cold.

Gandalf tried again.

"Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen. (Doorway of the dwarf-folk, listen to the word of my tongue.)"

More silence.

"Nothing's happening." Pippin stated the obvious.

I watched with slight amusement as Gandalf resorted to trying to push the door.

"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of elves, men and orcs." He huffed, frustrated.

"What are you going to do then?" Pippin piped up.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took," Gandalf snapped, "and if that does not shatter them and I'm allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words!"

I sent Pippin a pitiful smile, before pulling out my gold knife, admiring the stone, feeling the sharpness of the blade against my fingertips.

A sudden splash jolted me from my thoughts. As the water rippled, I felt as if the wind was whispering fell words into my ear. I felt something stir beneath the surface of the water. Springing to my feet, I caught Merry's hand before he could throw the third stone.

"Don't," my voice was hushed and with a warning tone, "don't disturb the water."

Merry's eyes filled with trepidation.

"Why?"

"There's something...not right."

The hobbits backed away from the water.

Gandalf needs to pick up the pace, I thought.

I walked in front of the glowing door, Gandalf beside me as he tried another spell.

"Ando Eldarinwa a lasta quettanya, Fenda Casarinwa! (Gate of Elves listen to my word, Threshold of Dwarves!)"

Aldion let out a huff from the floor.

"Maybe it's not working because you're telling a gate to listen."

"Then what do you suppose I do about it?" Gandalf snapped, losing his cool.

Personally, I didn't blame him. I could be an irritating presence.

I ran my fingers along the stone, tracing the smooth patterns against its grainy texture. My eyes followed the patterns, the trees spiralling up two stone pillars, with words engrained at the top.

"Speak friend and enter..." I hummed to myself.

The wheels in my brain were churning, until suddenly, a wave of realisation hit.