chapter five

Branden

“Hey Patrick”

Patrick, Saint Peter’s School Librarian, turns up and met his eyes. “What’s up, Brad?”

I shrugged. “Do you have it now?”

He pause for a moment and his face lightens “ah yes, I put it at the back” he points behind him and continue arranging the file scattered in his desk.

I replied a thanks and make my way at the back.

Saint Peter High School has a really big library. There’s probably like more than ten bookshelves in it.

There are tables everywhere like an ordinary library.

It has its own computers inside. A living room area, I dunno, I just call it ‘a living room area’ where students can sit comfortably while reading their favorite books.

Every student has their own favorite spot inside the library. I’m not sure if they're aware of it but every time I go here, I see the same student sitting at the same area.

I like mine at the back. Away from people. Don’t get me wrong this library is pretty darn quiet already; I just want to be alone, away from the view of other people.

I dunno, I just like what I’m feeling when I’m at the very back of the library. Peace and quiet.

“Ouch!”

I pace my step a little faster to see who it is. I groan at my sudden thought that it might be Josh and his girlfriend again.

Besides me, josh and his girlfriend also go there… and some other couples who likes to make out a lot.

“Josh, man, I need this-“ I stop. It’s definitely not josh or any other couple.

It’s a girl.

The first thing that I notice is that this girl is bending down on her knees, hands patting the ground, her golden brown hair covering her face.

I glance at the book just in front of her. Can’t she see the book? It’s just right in front of you.

I exhaled and took a step forward. I stop just in front of her where only the book is just between us.

I sat levelling her “hey” She stops and turns her head up to me.

At that very moment, I’m pretty sure the time cease as well. Her face was just a few inches away from me.

I fall back right away, my heart beating fast. I took the chance to study her.

She’s pale with brown golden hair. Nice straight nose, heart-shaped lips, eyes… I frown.

…She has pale blue-ish grey eyes.

“Is there someone there?” she asks in a low soft voice.

I stared at her. Confuse as to why she’s not making any sign of movement. Then I wave my hands in front of her. And it hit me, she’s blind.

It took me awhile to let it sink inside my head.

I took a deep breath. “Yeah, it’s me” why did I just say that. She doesn’t know ‘me’.

She frowns. “Ah. I’m Branden. I heard you so…”

She blinks but didn’t answer. “Can I help you?” I ask. She bit her lower lip feeling a little nervous.

Then Monica’s voice suddenly pops in my head.” And I’ll just gonna guide her around. She’s not as if she’s sitting on a wheelchair or even worse. She’s just blind”