"I'm... sorry?" I said, gulping. "I don't quite..."

"That boy," Bell said, voice dipped in fondness. "Nicolas has never really been one to talk about himself to others, but especially not about his parents. They were always a sore topic for him, even with me. I know Nicolas looks a little scary on the outside, but I've seen him grow up and he's a gentle boy at heart. He's just... always closed off with other people. A little cold, you could say."

My heart ached a little as Bell spoke, her voice so tender and full of love. Her words made me think of the Nico I thought I knew at the beginning of the year, so distant and cold, his blue eyes piercing and hard. But, like Bell said, the real him was gentle, caring, protective. Warm.

"He's never brought friends home before," Bell continued, face lighting up as she looked up at me. "So you can imagine how happy he was when he invited you."

Unable to respond, my heart full and my stomach in knots, I could only squeeze Bell's hand silently, the message seeming to get relayed loud and clear when Bell smiled. 

"You're not gossiping about me, are you?" Nico's voice called from the entrance to the kitchen, his form appearing moments after. His hair was still tousled with sleep, and he had only bothered to put a pair of tracksuit pants on, not bothering to cover his exposed chest. Bell rolled her eyes a little, letting go of my hand to give Nico a smack on his arm.

"Nicolas, it's rude to sleep in like that when you have guests over. Go pour him some juice to eat with his breakfast," Bell chastised, pushing him towards the fridge. It was now Nico's turn to roll his eyes, but did what his grandma asked of him anyway. 

"Don't I get pancakes?" Nico asked, Bell letting out a huff.

"If you had woken up earlier you would have gotten some," Bell said, wiping her hands on a cloth before turning away from her grandson to look at me, her expression shifting to one of pleasantry. "Enjoy your breakfast, Wesley. I have to pop out now, but Nico here will look after you." Turning back to Nico again, Bell's brow was raised high and her finger wiggling in the air. "Won't you, Nicolas."

"Yeah, yeah," Nico said, plucking the fork from my hand to quickly shovel the morsel of blueberry pancake skewered on it into his mouth, chewing happily. Bell threw her hands up, sighing.

"Don't yeah, yeah me, mister."

Smiling at their warm-hearted banter, I grabbed my stolen fork from Nico, popping some into my mouth. When I served myself another bite, I passed Nico the fork again, the boy grinning as he fed himself.

"Did you wanna leave by a certain time, babe?" Nico asked mid-chew, cutting a forkful of pancake before pressing it against my closed lips, which opened willingly. 

"Do... Do I have to?" I sighed, mood souring slightly. The thought of going back home to where mum was probably still stewing over everything that transpired the day before made my appetite begin to wane, though Nico decided to make it his mission to feed me as much as he was feeding himself. After feeding me another forkful, Nico placed the utensil down on the now empty plate, leaning his long torso across the counter to kiss me briefly, his lips syrupy sweet.

"I know you can do it, Wes," Nico murmured gently, calming me. "And if anything happens, I'll be there to pick you up."

"Okay," I said, steeling myself. 

"Good," Nico said, hopping back on his feet to walk around, pulling me by the arm. "But we've gotta shower before we go, babe. And maybe while we're in there..." Nico said, wiggling his brow suggestively. Laughing at his expression, I shoved him playfully, shaking my head.