THIRTY-ONE

After snuggling for a little in his car and talking about how Jamie is not so fond of Nico - which made him frown noticeably until I stressed that I didn't think the same way - Nico finally drove the rest of the way to school, parking the care in one of the spots closest to the door. In plain sight, the two of us were not difficult to spot by students walking into the school building, the stares of people passing by poking at my back. Unlike the other day, I was too preoccupied with trying to manoeuvre my crutches without stumbling to care about the stares. 

As I gestured for Nico to give me by backpack, Nico just snorted and swatted my hand away, carrying it in his left arm as his right helped me hobble up the steps to the school. With Nico's help, it didn't take me an embarrassingly long time to reach my locker. Shoving my things inside and grabbing the books I needed, Nico did not let me carry anything despite my whining, and just snatched all of the books from my hands into his. As I opened my mouth to complain again, Nico just sent me a fiery glare, stubborn in his quest to not let me carry anything. Giving up, I just let Nico hold onto my things, despite having to go to a different class - not that he was planning on attending, anyway.

"Nico, people are just going to spread weird rumours about me again, you know?" I sighed, shakily wobbling to my class as Nico carefully stuck by my side, holding my books. Glancing around at the hallways, people were unashamed in their staring, probably wondering why Nico Beckett was holding my books for me. Nico just raised a brow curiously.

"What rumours?" Nico asked, and I scoffed.

"You haven't heard them?" I asked incredulously, Nico shaking his head. 

"I never really cared for rumours," Nico said, shrugging again. Laughing at his nonchalance, I began to list out the weird rumours about myself that I had heard floating around.

"Some people think you made me your slave, buying you cigarettes and things when you were too lazy to do it yourself," I said, chuckling. "Another one was that I was initiated into your 'gang'." As I said this, Nico let out a snort, his eyes crinkling as he laughed.

"I'm not sure what gang they're talking about, but you? In a gang? I'd honestly pay to see that," Nico said, snickering. "Any other rumours?"

"Yeah, but this one is kind of true," I said, giving Nico a mischievous grin. "People have been saying that you force me to do your homework for you since you're failing."

"Pfft," Nico said, waving away the rumour, his nose crinkling like he smelled something bad. "I never did that."

"Oh, reaaally, Nico?" I drawled, wiggling my brow. "I happen to remember a certain bio project..."

"Hey, I recall opening up my home to you for that project. Not to mention my wardrobe. The top shelf smelled like beans for a few days after that, you know. Even got a little mouldy," Nico said, shivering. Seeing my shoulders shaking as I tried not to laugh, Nico cracked a smile, ruffling my hair. "Yeah, okay, that last one is kind of true."

"Ah, so honest," I mused, mimicking something that Nico always teased me about. Nico's smile grew wider at my words, the two of us laughing as we walked down the hallway. As we made it to my classroom, Nico was about to walk in to help me carry my books, but was stopped by Benny, who was running at full speed down the hallway to avoid being late.

"Wes wait up!" Benny called out, waving a hand frantically. Nico gave Benny an amused look as Benny's face grew nearer, his eyes noticeably widening as he saw Nico standing beside me. His feet screeched to a stop as he tentatively looked up at Nico, gulping.

To my surprise - and Nico's - Benny managed to push out a small smile towards Nico before looking at me and my bum leg.

"Hey, cripple," Benny said, making me hit him with the foot of my crutch. Benny hopped around in exaggerated pain, before turning towards Nico. Thinking he would clam up and start sweating under Nico's heavy gaze, I opened my mouth to say something, but was shut up when Benny got the words out before me.