Why Haven't I Met You Before?

The high school stereotypes aren't as clear cut as the movies make them seem. Most people resent the idea of becoming a 'type' and are part of multiple social circles. You could say that I am one of these people.

Being the queen "punk chick", I still have to make an effort to socialize lightly with the other groups in order to maintain relevancy within the student body. My routine visits amongst various cliques, ranging from the bottom rung to the top step of the social ladder, made me at least somewhat acquainted with most of the students at Belleville High. So one might be able to fathom my surprise when I met someone who I was quite unfamiliar with.

"Everyone find a partner. The directions for the project are at the front, so one of you can come grab a copy. Get to work!" Mr. Fallon released us to work and I slumped down into my seat. I only found about two people in that class tolerable, and they always liked to work together, so I would likely get stuck with some awkward kid who was too scared to even look at me, and I would end up doing the heavy lifting in the project.

I scanned the room looking for someone available who wasn't obnoxious as hell. Nobody, wonderful. Wait, who the hell is that guy?"

In the corner, some boy was standing disheveled. He wasn't new, he couldn't be; the teacher would have told us. I must have seen him before, because he seemed to hold some memory in my brain, though I wasn't sure exactly when or where or why. Well, if I haven't noticed him yet, he must not be too annoying. I stared at him until he noticed me, then nodded to say "come here" and waited.

He seemed sort of confused, but walked over anyway. "Hi..." He said, his eyes a little narrowed. The boy stood a couple feet from the desk I was at.

"Sit down, unless you don't want to be partners." I nodded to the desk next to mine and watched as he slowly sat down. "I won't bite unless you give me a reason honey." I joked.

"Umm, okay." He turned to me, face still rampant with confusion. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because you're currently the least annoying choice for a partner," I pulled one of the instruction papers off the desk of a student who wasn't paying attention and wrote my name at the top of it. "Don't prove me wrong, okay?"

"Okay."

"Plus, I've never talked to you before, which is kinda weird for me, so I figured it'd be a good idea to get to know you a little, especially since you were standing all alone in the corner." I put the pen down and looked at him, crossing my legs. "Shame on me for not knowing, but what's your name?"

"Gerard...Way." He smiled a little.

"Gerard Way.... that's a pretty rad name. That's a famous name, right there." I started looking over the directions.

Gerard set his stuff on the floor and furrowed his brows. "What do you mean?"

"Oh like, that's the kind of name a famous person would have. You could get famous with a name like that." I noticed a few people looking at us funny, but I just looked at Gerard for his response.

"Well it's too bad my name'll go to waste then." Gerard smiled a little dejectedly.

"You never know what can happen Gerard...." I noticed he perked up when I said his name. "People get famous for all sorts of things. Who knows? Maybe you'll be a rock star or something."

He just rolled his eyes and started inspecting the direction sheet. "We have to make a collage on a theme. That sounds simple enough, right?"

"That's what he wants you to think," I corrected. "He makes it vague enough to drive you crazy. I kind of respect it though, it's his way of weeding the lazy idiots from the artists and committed students, you know?"

"That's interesting," Gerard nodded. "I guess it's also a way to get you to do your best work."

"I've never thought of it like that before." I tilted my head to the side in thought. "Hey, you're kinda smart Gerard. I bet you got good grades, huh?"

"Eh, they could be better." He shrugged, face contorting as he put on a mocking tone. " 'If you'd only apply yourself Gerard, you'd be at the top of the class'."

"You get that too, huh?" I replicated his tone. " 'Miss L/n, perhaps if you spent less time cutting class to get stoned, and more time doing classwork, you would see the high potential you have being realized.' Maybe I don't want to be the best in the class, you know? That doesn't motivate me. Well to be fair, nothing does, but you get it."

"Yeah I get it." Gerard smiled just a bit, turning away from my gaze. That's cute, he's shy.  "Not to be rude or anything, but this is the one class I actually excel in, and I'd like to keep it that way, so can we like work a little bit?"

I raised my eyebrows and smiled. "Oh no problem man, I hear you."

"So is there a theme that really calls to you?" He asked. "Anything screaming 'I'm here Y/n! Pick me please!' " Gerard put on a raspy alien voice for this, which made me crack up. I don't think he expected it to be such a hit; he sat in his seat smiling in almost disbelief at how hard I was laughing.

When I finally came down, I straightened out my leather jacket and looked at Gerard. "I don't even know why that was funny, but Jesus Christ man you fuckin' slayed me." I took a deep breath and pretended to meditate for a moment before I continued our conversation. "But no, there's no theme for me. What if we just spend most of the time collecting anything we found interestng that can go on a posterboard, then at the end we can just connect some dots-"

"Make it sound deep and pseudo intellectual and Fallon will love it." Gerard interrupted. "And boom, we have an A."

"Nice plan Gerard!" I touched his shoulder a little. You would think he was allergic to human touch with the way his face flared all red. "I'm on board if you are." I smiled sweetly at him and took the paper from his hands.

"I-I'm on board Y-Y/n," he stuttered out, flustered into the seventh dimension.  "So um..."

"Let's ditch next hour." I said, ignoring his awkward mumbling.

"What?" He said, taken aback. "I don't want to get in trouble."

"Oh whatever, it's just sixth period anyway." I rolled my eyes and started putting my stuff in my bag. "What's your class anyway?"

"English in Rodney's room." He answered indignantly.

"Rodney's blind as a bat and deafer than a privileged politician. He won't notice if you're gone." I stood up, noticing the bell was going to ring soon. "So are you in, or are you in?"

"I'm in." He sighed reluctantly.

*hacker voice* I'm in. Sorry i had to. Anyway, I'm excited about this story. It's one of the two punk au stories that I'm starting. Yayayayaysyyaayyayay

See ya beanie babies!
XoXo
Dizzy S ♡