Eight - When in Quince

Depuis le début

When I saw my room I can say that it was, again, really fabulous and I'm sure Piper's was too. It has always been like this since we were princesses and they expect that we expect only the best.

"Do you need any help unpacking, your Highness?" Ms. Swan asked as she escorted me into the room.

"Actually, yes. I'm quite exhausted and we had to take a long route to hide from the rebels." I said to Ms. Swan guiltily. I'm not used to asking too much help from others.

"It's not a problem, Princess Audrey." She responded kindly with a smile. She had cute deep dimples by her cheekbones.

While we were unpacking some clothes together, I was thinking about something and decided to ask the maid.

"Miss Swan? If I may ask, how is Prince Damian like inside the palace?" I asked in the least awkward way possible. The maid looked quite taken aback but she still replied.

"Well, he's quite close with his Father. They like to practice fencing together despite the rising technology today. He's friendly to the staff, too." She explained.

"Oh, I see." I listened and nodded while she talked.

"You must be curious since you're marrying him soon right, your Highness?" She teased with a sweet smile. I just giggled back.

I knew Damian since forever but not enough to know the kind of person he was when he was not seen by everybody else. So, yeah, you could say I was curious.

"It's so tiring having to deal with formalities all the time! Please, call me Audrey." I told her. She just smirked which defined her dimple again.

"What about you? What's your name?" I asked while hanging the last dress in the closet.

"L-Leigh, your Highness, I'm Leigh Swan." She answered.

I felt that I've paused for a while.

I didn't see that coming. I didn't know what to do. Does she know that I know about her? Did Damian tell her that he told me? I didn't want to be all awkward so I decided to act like nothing's wrong.

"Thank you, Leigh." I turned to smile as I faced her after closing the closet. She had her eyes lowered again.

"I'm really sorry, your Highness. Don't worry I will disappear soon." She said in a soft voice with her hands together and head directly bowing straight down.

Yeah, she knows.

I didn't have anything to say. I have always wished this Leigh would be a mean girl so that she was going to be easier to hate.

However, in the few minutes that she's been with me, I honestly thought she was wonderful. She was quite pretty, had a well-mannered poise, and really helpful. I told myself that maybe she was just doing her job?

No.

I tend to read people a lot and I've seen them 'just doing their jobs'. She was like Levi. She was really sincere in everything she did so far.

I walked closer to her and placed my hand on her shoulder. She fringed a bit. I carried her chin up with my other hand until we saw each other eye to eye.

"I'm the one who should apologize, Leigh. I never wanted to take Damian away from the one he loved. Let alone the one who loves him." I said sincerely. I saw tears slowly building up in her eyes before running down her cheek so I hugged her.

I knew she thought I didn't love Damian. She couldn't be more wrong. We were both at the losing end of the string here. In the end only I can have Damian's name but she in turn is the only one who possesses Damian's heart.