14 | Believe Me

Kyle liked to think of the next three weeks that followed as a trial run with Chaska

     Kyle liked to think of the next three weeks that followed as a trial run with Chaska. At first, things had been a bit difficult since Kyle and Chaska had to figure out a routine they were comfortable with, and when they did it worked well. Kyle dropped Otis off as school, and Chaska took him home with him after the school day ended and helped him with his homework. He would also give him lunch. Kyle would come to pick Otis up later in the day, and sometimes they would have dinner at Chaska's before leaving for their own place. 

     The dating aspect was still a bit shakey. Sometimes the two would share a kiss when Otis wasn't looking, or they would go out and take a walk together. Every Sunday, however, they made it a point to spend time with each other. Kyle noticed that Chaska wasn't keen on holding hands in public even when there was no one around. As much as it hurt he understood why. This wasn't the city. It was a small town and people talked. Kyle didn't think he would mind it if they did, but Chaska seemed to and he decided to respect that. 

     He would be patient. He was good at grinding and waiting for rewards to come to him. Giving Chaska time to navigate his personal feelings wouldn't bee a burden.

     "Are you going to pick Otis up soon?" Kyle's mother asked from the living room. Kyle looked up from his phone before checking his watch. 

     "I'll leave in the next hour," he said, watching his mother hum. The old lady looked away, focusing her attention on the television as Kyle went back to reading the article on his screen. It was about four in the evening on a Tuesday, and Chaska had taken Otis home with him. 

     The room remained silent as Kyle scrolled through his screen. It would have made someone else uncomfortable to google for sex tips in the presence of their parent, but Kyle wasn't bothered. Being forty-two and having gone through all sorts of embarrassing situations as he tried to navigate the city in the past had made him numb to embarrassment. Well, most of it. There was something about Chaska that made the situation with him different. 

     Kyle sighed, dropping his phone before fixing his eyes on the clock above the main entrance. Chaska hadn't tried anything further from passionate kissing with him. The kissing was great, but Kyle was starting to get a bit anxious. He expected Chaska to do things first since he was the one with experience with men, but after not making any more passes Kyle was starting to feel he would have to be the one to instigate things. 

     But how?

     Sure, since he'd started interacting with Chaska he'd been curious and that had led to his search history being clogged with all sorts of sexual advice. Kyle assumed it wouldn't be too different from when it was with a woman—or at least he assumed. 

     "What's the long look for?" Kyle blinked at the sound of his mother's voice. He looked over at her, shaking his head before running a hand through his undercut. 

     "Nothing," he said, looking away from her. 

     "Dating troubles?"

     Kyle chuckled at that. He couldn't help it. His mother knew him so well.