Two Birds of A Feather

I don’t even look at him. “Go away, Duckie.”

“Caroline,” his voice suddenly turns desperate. “Let me explain.”

I shake my head into my knees. “No, I’m done waiting for you.”

“Can you please just look at me?”

I look up and glare at him. “Why? So you can see how pathetic I am? So you can laugh and then go follow Andie again?”

His mouth drops open. “I would never laugh at you crying.”

“Seriously, Duckie, I’m done!” I stand up carrying my shoes and tissues. “I don’t want to be the girl you fall back on. Or the friend you need for the moment.”

He stands up and his eyes start to water. “I’m sorry.”

“Too late,” I look away not wanting to see him cry. “A sorry doesn’t cut it.”

He grabs my hand making me drop my heels. “What can I do? I don’t want to lose you.”

“That didn’t seem to matter when Andie was here. And why not? Because then you will have no one? Is that it? Am I just here so you aren’t lonely?” I start to yell again.

His voice gets quiet. “Caroline, I haven’t been a good friend to you. And I never meant to hurt you. I hate to see you cry so much.”

“Then stop doing this to me,” I take my hand away and grab my shoes. “I have to go.”

“Caroline,” he moves in my way, “You are my best friend.”

“Best friend? I don’t want to be just that anymore!”

He hugs me. “I know,” he whispers in my ear.

        I push him away. “Duckie, there was a two year period where you didn’t even speak to me! Because of her! You don’t know what I have gone through! So, don’t say that you know how I feel! I fell in love with you so long ago, and the worst part is, even after all of this…”

        I start crying harder to the point where I can’t speak. Duckie helps me sit back down on the stairs and tries to calm me down. He wraps his arm around my back and has me lean my head on his shoulder. He starts to sing softly to me a song that we once heard while at TRAX together. I can’t recall the name, but we danced like crazy people that day. I smile and start to sing along when my tears finally stop falling.

“Caroline,” he says standing up holding out his hand to me. “Will a dance make it up to you?”

I joke, “It’s a start.”

        He leads me back up the stairs and into the dark room filled with loud slow music and dancing seniors. I place my shoes and tissues on an empty chair. Duckie slides his arm around my waist and brings me towards the dance floor. I place my hands on his shoulders as his find their way to my hips. We follow along with the melody in silence for a moment.

“So, even after all of this,” he starts to question. “What was it you were going to say?”

“Duckie,” I look down.

“No, it’s okay,” he smiles his goofy grin. “I just enjoy hearing you say it.”

I look up into his eyes. “I said it before, and it didn’t seem like it was enjoyable for you.”

He leans his forehead against mine. “Just say it.”

My heart begins to hammer against my chest again. “I love you, Duckie Dale.”

Our noses touch. “I love you too, Caroline Waters.”

        After all the tears, all the waiting, all the nights spent awake wondering if he was okay, all the years of being here for him, I finally feel his lips on mine. My hands slide around to his neck to pull his head closer. He pulls my body closer as the people dance around us. When his lips leave mine, we both smile and laugh quietly. I lean my head on his chest as we keep dancing.

“I’m sorry it took so long to figure out,” he says into my ear.

“It was worth the wait,” I say giving him another kiss.

He smiles in the kiss, making me smile and giggle. “Please don’t cut down that tree.”