Sitting Ducks

My heart sinks. There’s another girl? I stop playing with his fingers and move my hand from his. Suddenly, I start to feel super self-conscious. My hair is probably a mess and my nightgown makes me look like an old lady. I move away from him to look him in his brown, puppy-dog eyes.

“Who?”

He turns his head from me, crosses his arms and starts to bounce his leg nervously. “Iona.”

“Hold up,” I put my hand in the air between us. “You kissed the old lady that Andie hangs around?” Maybe my nightgown isn't such a bad thing?

“Hey! I thought you didn’t want to talk about Andie?” His joking tone has returned.

“Duckie!” I whisper harshly. “Why do you do this?”

He holds his hands out and shrugs. “Do what?”

“You set yourself up for disappointment.”

He scoffs. “I don’t…that’s not…I’m trying my hardest here.”

“To do what? Make Andie fall in love with you?”

His smile gets bigger at the thought. “Yes!”

I sigh and take the fedora off my head. “Do you want my advice?”

“Yes,” he clasps his hands together.

        I focus on the hat in my hands. Should I really help him? I look at him again and laugh quietly. His smile is too much for me. His teeth are too big, but so cute to me. I throw the hat at him when I realize I am staring again. He pretends to be truly injured and ends up smacking his head on my bed frame.

“Okay,” I can’t believe I am doing this. “Ask her to prom.”

“You know what,” I can tell he’s already being sarcastic. “Why didn’t I think of that? Oh, that’s right! She already has a date. He asked her tonight.”

“She asked him in front of you?”

He crosses his arms again. “Not exactly.”

“How do you know if-” I stop. “Are you kidding me? Duckie did you spy on them?”

He smiles again, almost making me lose my composure. “What can I say? I love her.”

        I swallow hard and cross my legs. Maybe you shouldn’t. She doesn’t love you. Duckie, I love you! Why can’t I say this aloud to you? I feel tears stinging my eyes, so I look at my feet to avoid eye contact. I’ve always been here for you! She doesn’t even want you around!

“Whoa, whoa, hey,” Duckie sits up and takes my hands.

“Duck, I’m tired, and I have an exam tomorrow.”

He squeezes my hands. “Caroline, sweetheart,” he tries to look me in the eyes.

“Duckie!” I scold quietly and pull my hands away. “Stop, I’m just tired.”

        Shocked by my sudden curtness, he pauses. Slowly he grabs his hat and walks to the window. I blink away the tears and slide off my bed to meet him at the window. I take his hat from him and reach up to place it on his head. Even on my tip-toes, he still has to bend over a little so I can get it on. He smiles again, but this time only inches from my face. I have to bite my cheek from the temptation to kiss him. Duckie catches me looking at his lips and quickly backs up.

“So…uh, see you tomorrow, Doll Face,” he says already climbing out my window and onto the tree branch.

I stick my head out the window. “I will help you pick out a tuxedo.”

“It’s a date…err- I mean a deal!” he says practically falling from branch to branch like he can’t get away fast enough. “This tree shouldn’t be so slippery!”

“It’s the second reason I will have it chopped down.” I wink at him as he reaches the ground.

He laughs and finds his bike up against the side of my house. “But I love this tree!”

“I love you,” my hand covers my mouth.

His head snaps up towards me. “What was that?”

“I said…all of…you?”

“All of who?” he says looking around.

“What?”

He looks back at me. “What?”

“Good night!”

        I shut my window and jump into my bed. Note to self: After four in the morning, you will confess your love to Duckie. I pull the blankets back over me and sniff the pillow that Duckie had been on and close my eyes. It’s damp from his pants. Dang it! I whip the pillow across the room and fall asleep without one.