Part Twelve

Part 12

SANG:

The rest of the day was great, until it wasn’t. I spent lunch with the guys, my new normal, and no one commented on my disheveled appearance. It’s weird, because I feel different. Like actually different, not just the ‘has something changed?’ different. It’s as if my body chemistry has changed, which I know sounds totally bizarre, but that’s the only way I’d know how to explain it. Besides the weird electrical current I feel when I’m around Mr Blackbourne Owen, I feel something else, a new presence at the back of my mind, like I’m sensing another being; tiny nigglings of emotions and feelings… I don’t know--maybe I’m going crazy.

It’s in my preoccupied state of musing over these changes that I step out of the locker room into the hallway to get to the gym for P.E. and practically run right into four people I don’t know: an older boy a little bit smaller than North wearing an Ashley Waters FOOTBALL t-shirt showing off impressive biceps, another guy just a bit smaller than him wearing a backwards cap and a scowl, a very pretty girl with long, black hair in a miniscule skirt, and another boy about my age who’s looking anywhere but me--a telltale sign of anxiety and shyness.

“Finally. Took long enough,” the gorgeous girl flips her hair over her shoulder, and I feel small and insignificant in her presence.

“Be nice, Jade. This is your new BFF,” the biggest of the guys gives me a broad smile, “Hi, Sang Sorenson. We’re here to make your acquaintance.” He nudges the other big guy next to him, who gives a sweeping mock bow.

“So you’re the new pet? I can’t believe he said you’re his favorite,” the girl--Jade--gives me a disdainful up-down, then decides her manicure is more interesting.

“Jade,” the second-biggest in the hat elbows her and she throws him a dirty look.

“What? He chose this over me! I have the right to be pissed!” Jade glares at me.

“He said she’s sweet. What was it? Oh, yeah--the little kitten,” at the football guy’s words I flinch. Kitten? I’ve heard that before. My head starts to throb, as if my brain is knocking on my skull--let me out!

“Who are you?” I mumble.

The skinnier boy finally looks at me then, giving me a quick apologetic glance before looking down at his old, dirty, well-worn sneakers.

“The kitty cat speaks!” the big footballer claps his hands, “I’m Rocky. This is my boy, Jay, his sister, Jade, and the nerd’s Wil. And you’re the newest member of our crew!”

Yeah--I don’t think so. Crew? With them? Count me out. “I think you have the wrong person.”

Jay chuckles, “Nah. You’re the new girl.”

Jade sighs melodramatically and rolls her eyes, “You’re annoyingly sweet, you know that? What is that? Peaches?” She makes a gagging noise.

“I like it,” Rocky makes me uncomfortable, staring at the spot where my sundress cuts off to expose my legs.

“There’s something else, though,” Jade takes a step forward and I tense. She slowly walks around me, nostrils flaring, and it would be funny if it wasn’t terrifying.

What is it?” Jay cocks his head to the side at his sister.

“An oncoming storm.”

Jade’s answer baffles me. I could smell the lingering scent of Mr Blackbourne Owen, but to me it reminds me of rain, something amazingly pleasant and welcome. To her, it seems to be something ominous and foreshadowing.

Rocky makes a hmmph noise, “Whatever. That’s not why we’re here,” he points at me, “You, pussy cat, need to distance yourself from your new friends. Those guys that surround you at all times? Yeah, not actually your buddies. They’re hunters. Wil?”