{8} The Princess (Part 1)

Moon slowly walked into her second period class, looking for a familiar boy. It took quite a moment to spot him, however, because he just blended so well with the crowd— she felt so much emotions in her chest... Anger? Hate? Confusion? Pity?

She slowly walked to his desk, tapping the notebook he was busily writing on. "Turtle?" Moon said, flashing a smile at him. He seemed startled and confused at first, but when he spotted her Walkman, he turned pale. "We need to talk, buddy."

Turtle gave her a frown. "What do you mean?"

Moon crossed her arms. "I mean the tapes. I mean the thing you did to Winter. Can you explain something to me? Please. I must know why you did what you did."

"I don't have to tell you anything." Turtle said simply and went back to writing at his notebook. After a moment, Moon grabbed it and hid it behind her back, furious. Turtle let out a yell.

"You killed someone, Turtle," Moon spat. "You don't think that's important? Going  back to writing your notes? You just can't answer a simple question, can you?"

Turtle sneered. It was the first time she saw him act like this. He seemed sleep-deprived, like he hadn't got a wink of sleep for days. His eyes were bloodshot and he was pale and thin.

But why? "You think you're better than me? Better than us? You killed him too." Turtle stood up, and his chair screeched, making the classroom silent.

Everyone turned one by one to them, having a sudden interest in a fight between the most quiet boy in the world and the nobody-ever-notices girl.

"You." Turtle's words were like daggers, piercing her skin, her bones, sucking the life out of her—! "Killed." I killed Winter? "Him. You broke him. You healed him, then reopened his wounds. You aren't better than any of us, Moonwatcher Everfrost."

Moon opened her mouth to protest, but she was quickly silenced by Turtle's shouting.

"Why I did what I did... I don't have to tell you. It's not any of your business. Stop poking at everyone's life like you're a detective. Nobody needs anyone annoying the heck out of them. And that's what you're doing right now. To me."

"Look here, Turtle." Moon felt cold, like the room had dropped to below freezing. Why was everyone acting like this? "It is sort of my business, because— well, b-because..."

Turtle laughed mockingly. "What? Because what? You finally realized you loved him, didn't you? Isn't that funny? You loved him with all your life, but you killed him. It's like a game. Everything's a game." He choked at his words. "Life is a game. And I think I failed it."

"I— I didn't —!" Moon protested. His words echoed in her head: You finally realized you loved him, didn't you?

Then the bell rang, and the teacher came in. Moon clenched her fists. I can't let Turtle push my emotions around like this. Be strong.

"Turtle—" Moon started.

"Ms. Asha, can I go to the nurse's office? I feel sick," Turtle said loudly.

Asha looked at them, surprised. "Wow, Turtle, you look terrible. Of course you can, dear. Hope you get better, eh? Your mother won't like for her darling son to be that thin. I surely wouldn't."

Turtle snatched his notebook back from Moon. "Actually, I don't think she even remembers my name."

He ran out of the classroom, and as he did, he threw his notebook in the trashcan, making it land with a thud.