Chapter 8: Ring

It was still early in the morning. Hidden Leaf village was starting to wake up from its slumber, every day in a usual pattern. The morning silence slowly dissolved and the air was filling up with noises. It was the start of a new day for thousands of villagers around, and yet for two certain people, it meant the end of everything.

Night was the only time they could really be together.

The days were usually occupied by work none of them could give up no matter what. Countless meetings, discussions, negotiations were part of their daily routine each and every time she visited. But nights were different.

And one of those nights was almost over.

They were in his favorite spot, on one of the rooftops where he usually would go to observe clouds. Even though the middle of the night wasn't the best time for it, they still would often come here to meet the sunrise. Just because it would be worthless to lose a little time left to sleep.

Because by the time the village will fully wake up, she'll have to leave again.

Shikamaru was lying down head on Temari's lap. He felt strangely addicted to this position, sometimes he thought he could spend the whole day just like this. Nobody will ever let him to do that, though.

His hair was undone and Temari's fingers were going through it as Shikamaru pretended to sleep. Her gentle touch against his scalp felt way too relaxing to keep up the act, but he just couldn't afford to fall asleep.

He was looking at her instead. It was a year and a half since he asked her out on their first date. It might seem like a long time, but their meetings were still very rare and short, mostly involving work. And yet, for the past year he learned more about her than during those five years after their first meeting. 'Was it really that long?' He asked himself. He could tell it easily now, when she was angry or upset, when she was happy or concentrated, when she was serious or teasing. The problem was - the more he knew, the harder it was to let go. Each goodbye was more painful than the previous, to the point he didn't want to say it ever again.

"How much is left?" He asked.

"About forty minutes."

"Ugh..." he really hated it.

"What is it?"

"Nothing..."

"Just say it already." Her voice sounded a little irritated.

"I can't."

That would sound just too selfish and demanding.

"Why?"

"I can't possibly say something like 'don't go' now can I?"

Her hand stopped.

"No, you can't."

"I don't want you to go." He still said it.

"I don't want to go either." She said. One could say it was her usual voice, but Shikamaru could now pick up the difference. She sounded sad.

"But, you'll still go?"

"Yeah."

It's not that he expected another answer. She wasn't the type to give up everything just for that. It never mattered what she herself wanted to do, she'll always go with what she must do. That was just a part of her character that Shikamaru liked.

That's why it hurts like hell to say goodbye.

A sudden idea came to his mind. It was crazy, and Shikamaru was the least person who would be expected to come up with it. And yet, it suddenly made sense.