Chapter 6 (Edited)

I finally walked to where the truck was at and if the situation was different and it wasn't my horse that was being sold, I would have laughed. It could be seen that it hadn't ended well, loading up Blue as he was standing by some bales hay and was munching on it.

Both men were down on the ground, Korren cupping where his manhood was. He had a grimace on his face as he tried to keep standing. Most of his weight was leaned against the truck that the group had brought in.

Red, well... let's just say he ended up in a wheelbarrow filled with crap. He was grimacing just as bad as Korren, and I could tell that his face was kind of smeared with the poo. He was clutching his side and I knew that some ribs might be bruised. "Idiot horse," he muttered silently as he stood and walked over to me. "You go get him, Lass," he said. "He'll listen to you." He reached out and grabbed Patches reins as there was a cough.

"You got something on your face," I muttered to him as I wiped off a chunk of manure, close to his eye. I was feeling numb and heart-broken. I wasn't going to cry because crying showed weakness, I didn't want her or Clarice to see me cry.

Red placed his weathered hand on mine and held it on his face. His light blue eyes looked into mine. Care and compassion could be seen in them. There was love, a love that was like a father daughter relationship. "It is alright to cry," he said finally in a soft whisper. "You know that, Lass."

I shook my head, not wanting to break down in front of my stepmother. She loved to see me cry and fail miserably. I wasn't going to give her the slightest satisfaction that I was going to cry or even thinking about it "Watch over Patches," I said, my voice showing my emotion as I handed the reins to him.

Red grabbed my other hand and squeezed it before taking the reins. After that, he released my other hand from his face as he nodded his head towards Blue, signaling me to get him.

Blue looked up as I started to walk over to him. His head was cocked to the side so that the lead rope wouldn't tangle around his legs. His eyes were huge and if horses had expressions, I knew that he would be afraid. His rare blue roan coat was dark as he was sweating, from nerves. He whickered a little before lowering his velvet lips to the hay, taking a mouth full.

"Are you just going to stay over there?" I asked, loving the fact that his ears flickered to catch the sound of my voice. I stuffed my hand in my pocket, glad to find that I still had a few cubes left. "All right." With that I turned around to walk away.

"Wha-" the older male, whose name I forgot, started to say but stopped when he heard metal click on stone. There was a low whistle, but I ignored it.

There was a fast clip-clop before I felt a nudge on my shoulder. I ignored it and still walked. Again there was a nudge on my shoulder, strong enough to make me stumble a little before my blonde hair started to get chewed on.

My breath caught in my throat as I finally turned around to look at the 16.9 hh (hands high) horse standing in front of me, ears pricked to catch the sound of my voice. "What? Upset that I didn't stop the mean nasties to put on those ugly wrapping gear huh?" I asked as I scratched him in the spot where he loved to be scratch. I wasn't disappointed when he leaned into my scratch even though he nudged his muzzle, to the hand that was in my pocket it. "Yea, yea, you big baby," I muttered as I fed them to him before grabbing the lead rope.

I would love just to throw the rope over his back, hop onto it and gallop out the back door of the barn. Sadly, Delilah was watching me like a hawk, Korren finally recovered enough to go to the other side of the barn and to the double doors, and... the doors were closed and only opened from the outside. Bummer.

"Come on, Boy," I said gently as I tugged on the ropes. I started to hum absentmindedly my favorite Taylor Swift song as I started to lead him up into the trailer. Blue did have a small bit of trouble with it, but he kept his nose at my shoulder and followed me in without any trouble. It is pretty funny how I can get a 16.9 hh horse act like a puppy and follow me around.

I didn't say anything as I patted his neck, knowing my throat had finally closed up. It wasn't just my best friend leaving, it was the last gift my father had given me before he died. Even to this day, I missed him so much and sometimes just remember him around the place, playing around or dancing with me. However, as time goes on, those memories started to disappear as did the memories of my mother.

Blue nudged me one last time as I flung my head into his neck, breathing in the musty horse smell. My nerves calmed down a little, but not enough. "Goodbye," I whispered to him as I let go and took off his lead rope. "Behave and maybe... maybe we'll see each other again." With one last pat I hopped out of the trailer, handed the lead rope to Dean and ran off into the woods, wanting to be alone. All the while I heard my gelding whinny, calling me towards him. And that was the last time I saw him for a month.