Just as he’s about to finish his words, there’s a knock on the door.

“…Good morning! Please excuse my intrusion.”

I quickly break free of Hiroto’s grasp.

Then, as it is outside the room…

—is Hasumyouji-senpai by the entrance.

As I’m walking through the corridor, I hear a voice calling out to me to stop.

Hasumyouji: “…Amano-kun!”

Turning the corner by the emergency staircase, I see someone running towards me.

Yuu: “…Hasumyouji…senpai…?”

He’s as beautiful as ever.  But he’s chasing after me, breathing hard over his shoulder.

Yuu: “…Um…”

Hasumyouji: “…You forgot these documents. It’s for your teacher, right?”

In his hands are the stack of sheets that my teacher asked me to hand in during the morning.

Yuu: “…Oh, thank you very much!”

Hasumyouji: “…Yeah? You’re welcome…Hey, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you…” His eyes are half-cast while he looks at me shyly. “What kind of relationship do you have with senpai?”

Yuu: “…Um…we’re childhood friends.”

He studies me hard.

Hasumyouji: “…Really…? But you…like him, right?”

Yuu: “…Huh…?”

Hasumyouji: “Well, see…Hiroto-senpai is dreamy you know? I want to be senpai’s support…to be close by, yeah?”**

I flash an ambiguous smile in response.

Yuu: “…Is that so…?”

Hasumyouji: “…Yes that’s right! I was worried over whether I could be by his side or not…Hiroto-senpai is always so kind to me…”

I look at his expression of joy with a vague impression.

His cheeks have always been flushed and he’s always been beautiful, but now his attractiveness has increased by fifty percent. Certainly when these two are standing side by side it’s like looking at a scene from a painting…It’s no doubt they suit one another.

He seems satisfied with my response and returns to the Student Council’s office.

I want to help Hiroto-senpai…and smiles as he leaves. ** (T/N: I’m like 80% sure this is what the line says. I THINK what’s happening here is that Yuu’s quoting Hasumyouji and then describing what he does.)

(…The novel’s Amano Yuu would probably be very jealous after hearing that…but what about me…?)

It’s a wonder that I hardly feel any jealousy towards senpai.

If anything…I’m feeling lonesome.

I knew from the beginning that Hiroto would fall in love with someone once I entered high school. I intended to prepare myself, but actually witnessing it is…pretty difficult. It’s different from just hearing gossip.

(…Until now, the person who cherished me seems to have gone so far away…it’s lonely…)

YuuL “…Huh?”

When I realize it, tears have already began dripping down my face. Soon they will overflow. I instinctively plop down on the floor.

Yuu: “…Uuu…why? They won’t stop…”

The more I try to blink them back, the more they continue to flow. I’m at a loss.

Because I’m hiding in the emergency exit, I’m not worried about people walking in on me. As such, my sobs continue.

Yuu: “…Uu, they won’t stop.”

To my surprise, there’s someone standing in front of me.

Since I’m crying, I only see a pair of shoes. There are scratches at the ends.**

They’re Teruki’s leather shoes, the ones designated by the school. A while back my cat had a field day with them, which made me laugh a lot.

Teruki: “…I’m sorry. I didn’t make it in time. I am…really…so sorry you had to cry. I’m sorry you had to cry alone.”

I’m in Teruki’s arms before I’m aware of it. Back in middle school we were about the same height. Now I’ve fallen behind him. When he hugs me, my head just reaches the top of his chest. In this position I can hear his heartbeat quicken ever so slightly.

This is my safest place. My precious best friend.