Part 1 - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

A splitting headache jolts me awake. I'm no longer lying on the ground with grass and rubble but on a straw bed in what I assume to be Brier-Rose's cottage. The room is rather empty with only the bed and a nightstand. A wash basin with a shallow amount of water is on the nightstand beside the bed. On my forehead, something wet, probably a cloth, sits across. The point of impact where my head hit the ground throbs slightly. No one is in the room with me. Where's Rose? I move, trying to  turn to the side, the first step for me to get out of this bed.

"Where do you think you're going?" Rose asks, rushing inside the room before I manage to turn on my side. Firmly she pushes me back down, tucks me in and adjusts the cloth on my forehead. Sitting down on a chair next to me, she doesn't take off her eyes off me until someone walks in the cottage.

"Rose?" a male voice asks from outside the room. His voice has an urgency, a dash of worry for Rose.

"In the guest room, Roger," she calls to him without shifting her attention from me. Roger is the gallant prince who saved Brier-Rose from her curse. I know both of them well but they seem to be unaware of who am I just as Gothel was before William and I naively revealed our identities to her. Though they are good people, for their safety and protection, I will not disclose my identity to them. If huntsmen ever come around asking questions, they could truthfully deny they ever saw Jacob Grimm here.

When Roger walks in, quiver hanging across his back, he takes his beloved's side immediately, a hand resting on her shoulder. After making sure she's fine he looks at me questioningly. I am, after all, a stranger alone with his wife inside their home. He has no reason to trust me but he trusts her.

"When I saw the basket outside and the door open, I thought something bad had happened to you. Who is he, dear?"

"I don't know. I was outside hanging the laundry when he walked out of the forest but before I had the chance to speak to him, he fainted in our garden. I prepared the guest room and dragged him inside, forgetting to pick up the basket or to lock the door. I'm sorry if I scared you."

"My name is Ingo Stine," I say, making up a fictitious name for myself. Sticking to some parts of the truth will help make my story believable. "I was ambushed at my cottage by some huntsmen. For two days I have been wandering in the forest and must have passed out from the tiredness and the hunger. I apologize if I gave you a fright, miss."

"It's quite alright," she says with a blush.

"Thank you for your kindness but I think I'd better be on my way," I say, trying to sit up in bed but as soon as I do, the room spins and I find myself back onto the pillow.

"You're still too weak to go anywhere," Roger says, removing the cloth on my forehead to soak it again in water basin. "Rose, why don't you go and prepare some broth we can share it with our guest? I'll keep him company while you cook."

Brier-Rose gives me a small smile as she gets up from the chair and walks out of the room. Roger puts away his quiver and takes her place on the wooden chair. Only after looking twice over his shoulder to be certain sure Brier-Rose has left the room does he speak to me.

"I know who you are, Master Grimm," he says in a hushed tone. "I appreciate your discretion in regards to revealing your identity, especially in front of Brier-Rose. In the village I heard rumours about you and your brother. A hefty bounty is offered for your capture. The posters are all over the village."

"It has never been my intention to put either of you in jeopardy," I answer. How does Roger know who I am? The way he expressed himself hinted he thinks Brier-Rose is yet unaware of my true identity. Why is this?

"It pains me to have to tell you this but we can't keep you with us. Your presence here attracts huntsmen to us. It would only give Gothel a good excuse to throw me inside her jail."

"I understand," I reassure him. "If you could give me shelter for one night, I would be extremely grateful. I'll be on my way in the morning. The journey ahead of me is long and I don't know how long it will be before finding refuge again."

"You are welcome stay with us for tonight," Roger says. "I'll make sure Rose prepares some supplies to take with you on your travels. Where are you headed?"

"I have no particular heading. I need to find a safe place to hide something. Would you happen to know where I can stash it? The object is precious and dangerous if it falls in the wrong people's hands. I can't risk keeping it with me in case I'm captured."

"You could try leaving it with the dwarves," Roger suggests. "They work down the mines and I'm sure they can find a safe place for you to hide your item. At dinner I can point you in the right direction. It's not far from here."

"Thank you. If there's anything I can do for you, let me know – I'm indebted to you."

Roger nods and leaves my side. My head aches and my eyes are impossible to keep wide open. If either of them returned into the room I wouldn't now because my light-headedness drifts me off into a sweet slumber.