• PROLOGUE •

Zacznij od początku

"It'll protect you from the fire's magic," Tabitha explained upon seeing Amara's questioning look. "But the heat..."

"Don't worry about that," she assured her, not wasting another moment before she ran towards the house as fast as her legs would allow, disappearing into the hellish scene to leave her friends' with anticipating breaths.

××

Inside the house, hidden behind a loose plank of wood that fell from the ceiling panels and trapped in the small corner of the only room not completely engulfed in flames was a small girl, curling her knees into her chest as she tried to drown out the sound of the crackling that wood filled the house to the brim and tried to ignore the intense heat that waved through the air. It was easy to do that when there were so many other things to worry about; the heavy smoke that travelled like a thick, grey wall in the room, all her teddy bears that she saw being burnt to a crisp on the bed or the fact that nobody had come to get her yet.

She sobbed and wailed but she knew that nobody had heard her, for the sound of wood pieces crashing down was much louder. There was a pain in her chest that kept tearing through. Was she the one who caused this? Because she didn't want to go through this for another second.

Everything was fine just awhile ago, she had just been tucked in to sleep, all of her toys arranged in the cute little circle that she loved having by her side.

But a few moments later on, a shocking pain brought her up from deep sleep and all of a sudden the fire has filled her room.

"Mommy!" the girl screamed as loud as she could. "Daddy! Please!" Her voice broke at the end, the pain was growing but her eyes were too tired to cry. "Somebody- help..."

And so she sat there for what seemed like eternity, waiting for Mommy and Daddy but it seemed like they were never going to come. Every breath she took now made her throat dry and it was getting harder to keep her eyes open.

Then she began to realize that she could see the ceilings, the layer of wooden panels that - until a second ago- was hidden behind the thick smoke. Slowly but surely, the room began to become clearer, the bright color of fiery orange flaying throughout the walls. A slight hazy quality still lingered in the air, but it was no longer a looming threat.

That's when she saw it; the light.

Whatever it was that shone, it became brighter than anything else. The fire now seemed like mere candles beside it, for it engulfed the flames within its own light. It was as though the fire was dancing around it, hovering just above but never touching.

And it was the most beautiful thing the girl had ever seen.

The light started to move closer, careful but deliberate, and only then did the girl notice the figure that stood behind it. It was a woman, slim and tall with dark hair cascading all the way down to her hip, she vaguely reminded the girl of her Aunt Rachel, who spent every visit trying to convince her to grow out her hair. The nearer she got, the more at awe the girl was.

Somehow the light was not blinding her eyes even though it was easily the brightest thing in the room, It was a magnificent view; she swore that she could see every layer in it and yet there didn't seem to be an end to it. Pulsing, radiating to each corner of the room as if it was alive.

She didn't even realize when the woman sat in front of her until she felt a hand touch her cheek.

"Hello Cally," the woman said, her voice was deeper than most girls' she's heard, but it had kindness in every word. "Are you hurt?"

The girl named Cally shook her head, hesitantly as she eyed the woman with suspicious eyes. "How do you know my name?"

"All in due time," she reassured her. "But right now, we must hurry and get you out of here." The woman laid a grip on the girl's wrists and pulled it lightly. "Come on."

"N-no...no." she cringed at the touch. "I can't. Miss, I am... not safe. I hurt people outside." Cally gestured around the room, where the fire still burned despite being overshadowed by the light. "I need my mother. I don't know what happened but I-I think I did this. She can help me."

"Nonsense, it is not your fault," The woman raised a small hand and flicked a finger. Suddenly, Cally felt her whole body move on its own. "But there are more dangerous things out there."

Slowly, Cally's body rose until she could stand on the balls of her feet. She tried to fight it but it was as though a chain was wrapped around her body, and she couldn't even see it.

"Please, where's my mother?" Cally pleaded. Surely this mysterious woman must know?

"They are in a safe place. It's better there." The woman didn't look at her as she said it, but kept her head turned away. The girl could hear how the words did not sound as kind as before.

"But I want to see them!"

"All in due time, darling."

"I need them now!" The girl tried to tug her way out when she realized she was being forced to move again. "Please!"

"Cally..." The woman said carefully.

"Please!" The cry made her body heat up, a feeling that she was all too familiar with. She could almost see the bright orange coming from her hands-

"Sleep." The woman raised her hand and light covered the girl's eyes. She didn't want to do it, but if they didn't hurry up then there will be more to deal with.

The struggle stopped and the fire went away. Amara sighed in relief when she felt the girl's body relax within her light. "I'm sorry, darling." She whispered to no one in particular. "But there are more of us out there and not all of them are as harmless as you are."

She spared a glance to the girl again, feeling the guilt bubble inside, before turning around and continued on her way.