"This is useless," she said, waving her hand at the cheerful, Pappy's Put Put. On a Saturday night it was filled with families and couples. "Winning is impossible now."

"So you're going to quit?"

"I don't mind playing from behind," Van explained, "but playing knowing victory is impossible holds no appeal to me."

Luca scrutinized her for several seconds, the intensity in his cinnamon eyes making her squirm. She waited for him to call her out for being childish, but he just shook his head and dropped his arm over her shoulders. The same sense of comfort that had flooded her while in the field settled over her again, and she stepped closer to him, seeking the solace only he had been able to provide since her life imploded.

"I guess I'll mark bowling off my list of places to take you. Maybe a movie next time?"

All the comfort fled, his words dousing her good mood. Grasping his hand in hers, she lifted it over her head and dropped it at his side. "Who said there would be a next time?"

"Did I say something wrong? Do something that offended you?"

"No. I just don't want you to get the wrong idea."

He walked towards her. She backed up against the Land Rover. "And just what idea do you think I've got?"

Van swallowed hard. Luca didn't crowd her. There was nothing menacing about the way he stood, and his tone was even. But she knew she couldn't get away with some half-assed response.

"I don't plan on being here for very long. So, I'm not looking for friends."

If she surprised him, she couldn't tell. He merely swept his eyes over her in that way he had- the one that made her feel bare before him. Not sexually- though the idea wasn't as unappealing as she wished- but emotionally.

"What if I'm okay with that?"

"What?"

"I'm a firm believer that you should make the most of life, no matter the circumstances. You might be stuck in this little town for now, but that doesn't mean you have to be miserable. Unless..."

Van took a hesitant step forward. "Unless what?"

"You think you deserve to be miserable."

She waited for the familiar flare in her breast. The match struck by someone's opinions. A raging fire would follow. And yet his words left her cold, hollow. Her chin trembled, and for the second time that night, she couldn't stop the flood of tears.

"Damn it," she snarled, scraping at her cheeks. She'd cried more tonight than she had in all the days after her family died. She didn't know if it was because her cup was full and finally spilling over, or if it was because Luca looked at her with such empathy.

He cupped her cheek, his thumb swiping at the lingering moisture. Lights from a vehicle pulling into the parking lot blinded the both of them, making them jerk apart to shield their eyes. When darkness returned, Van squinted at the boy beside her, only to find his gentle manner gone and a hard edge to his lips.

"Get in the car and stay there."

"What?" Van protested, but he grabbed her by the arm and pushed her into the backseat. For the first time, his touch was painful. "Stop. You're hurting me."

"All Hail the King!" The refrain was repeated- not with reverence but laced with sinister promise.

"Luca, Luca, Luca."

"Go away, Bane," Luca snarled into the shadows behind him. He turned his attention to Van. "Please. Get in the vehicle."

She nodded, not stupid enough to miss the threat of violence draped around the group of boys hovering behind the car. Luca shut the door firmly, a short beep blasting in her ears as he locked it. Pulling herself to her knees, she leaned over the backseat and watched Luca approach the gang.

There wasn't enough light to make out much, but the leader stepped into the halo of a streetlight for a moment. Long enough to reveal a face ravaged by scars and dark hair tightly curled against his scalp. But neither of those things brought a gasp to her lips. No, it was the green eyes that gleamed unnaturally even once he slipped back into the gloom.

The moment she made a sound, his attention turned from Luca to the car. She clenched her fingers around the supple leather of the seat and tried to make herself small. Only her eyes peered over the edge because she needed to see what happened.

Van didn't know who threw the first punch, but she knew it was one against five. Unbeatable odds despite Luca's stature. Without thinking, she unlocked the door and jumped out, throwing her body into the fray. Someone hit her across the cheekbone, bone crunching against bone. Then bone crunching against asphalt as she fell. Blood bitter on her tongue.

Luca, wherever he was, roared- the sound more animal than human. Van spit and rolled to her knees, reevaluating her plan of attack. It was hard now that her eye was swelling shut, but one boy was struggling to get to his feet. Blood leaked from his nose and lips, and as he stood, he swayed. It was like picking off the weakest member of a herd, but if Van could hold him back, it was one less fist for Luca to avoid.

The boy took one step before Van launched herself around his neck, her fingernails digging into exposed skin while she sank her teeth into his ear. He screamed and reached for her, but she avoided his hands and bit the other ear, nearly gagging when a chunk of something broke off into her mouth.

"Get the she-devil off of me," her victim yelled, pulling another one of his friends out of the fight. She smiled at him, grabbing a handful of wiry hair and slamming her ride's forehead into his companion. They both dropped, and she jumped off before hitting the ground with them.

"Break it up! I've called the police."

The word police did the trick. Two of the three remaining thugs darted away, leaving their leader scrabbling on the concrete with Luca. She couldn't believe he was in one piece and winning in the match.

"Luca," she hissed, kicking the boy closest to her in the ribs as he began to wake up. "Luca!"

He pulled back his arm and delivered a final blow. In two seconds, she'd once again been shoved into the car, this time Luca followed. The engine turned over with a purr, and they squealed out of the lot and onto the highway. Several miles passed either of them spoke.

"Are you okay?"

"Am I okay?" She squeaked, facing him and glaring as best she could manage out of one eye. "Are you okay?"

His knuckles turned white, and he didn't look at her. "I asked you to stay put."

"Hello, have you met me? Do you get the impression that I do what I'm asked often?"

"You're injured because you couldn't listen!"

"You're injured because you took on five giants," she screamed, trying to figure out how this situation had been turned on her. "If I hadn't helped, your face would look like road rash right now."

"Van," Luca said, a warning in her name.

"Take me home," she demanded, looking out the window.

"I can't take you home with a black eye."

"It's going to be there for a few days. I don't think concealer will hide this one."

Luca's long exhale drew her gaze back to him. He'd settled into his seat, and his anger had faded to resolution. "I know someone. You just have to trust me."