Episode 2 - The Archer and the Viking (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

When Jamie sat himself down in the chair opposite him Jack considered whether it was a good idea to lightly suggest that maybe he could look for friends his own age who could also be interested in fairytales. Maybe all he needed was a pep talk that they're out there and he'd have more in common with them, because Jack didn't really expect that when Jamie said they were 'friends' he really meant 'friends' as if he expected they would spend more time together. He promised no such thing. Yet somehow Jamie had already sent him a friend request in all his social media platforms and asked him about it, so he couldn't exactly ignore them, and already made a group chat with Hugo in it. He named the group 'Operation Nightfury', which Hugo seemed to understand the context of from reading the book. He already didn't have friends of his own judging by the sad amount of memes he'd kept tagging only to Jack and Hugo. He wondered if Pitchener was seeing them because he really didn't start this.

"So where's Hiccup?"

"Who?"

"You know, your Viking friend?"

"Oh, the game again. And you mean Hugo. I have no idea where he is, we don't exactly keep tabs."

"Really? Jack Frost and Hiccup were really close, though," Jamie rambled, "Sometimes Jack Frost appears, just when Hiccup needs him the most, and would give him advice. They'd just run into each other. See, Hiccup sometimes forgets to find the fun in things when he gets caught up in the responsibilities of being the next Viking chief."

"Okay, you lost me. I don't really know how to follow, I've never read the book."

Jamie legitimately looked sad for a second that Jack wondered if he felt insulted or made fun of. Maybe it was his tone which tended to sound like he didn't take anything seriously. But the little boy suddenly shifted into a cheery disposition once again, voice all pitchy.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to be weird—"

"No, no, you're not weird," Jack said quickly, because he didn't actually want Jamie to feel bad, there's really nothing wrong with having an imagination. "It's me. I just don't get it. I'm a slow learner."

"I know I shouldn't bother people with these fairytales. It's just that after my real dad would tell me these stories, I would tell it to my little sister and we'd...make a game out of it. Yeah. W-we would imagine people we knew playing the characters in the book...so she would think the world was a little more magical."

"Wait, sister? You have a sister."

Now Jamie allowed himself to appear a little sadder about this. "We er...got seperated."

"Oh." Jack didn't ask more. "I'm...sorry to hear that."

"I don't even know where she is anymore. But, I think...if I could find my dad, he'd be able to find her."

Jack wasn't so sure a father who abandoned his kids to the foster system in the first place should be allowed to locate the other kid, but he figured he needed to give Jamie some hope. Since his first meeting with Jamie he managed to ask Hugo a bit more about what he knew about his situation. Rumor has it that he was just around six or seven when Pitchener adopted him. No one said anything about a sister and maybe for good reason. He nodded along, genuinely sympathetic.

"She was my responsibility," Jamie continued, "It feels like I abandoned her."

"Trust me, kid. It's probably not your fault." He almost couldn't look at Jamie. At that instant, he saw too much of himself in the brown haired boy. Jack couldn't even remember his own childhood memories, but the absence was heavy on him. It was as if he was always searching for something or someone, never really knowing if he'd ever find them. "What was her name?"