CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: Shoulders

Start from the beginning

See? Questions, just like I said there would be...

Brushing his hand away, I shrugged my shoulders, wrapping the cape around my arms like a long, tubular glove.
"Well, nobody said shit to me about it. I just got asked to come out here and sent on my way." I wasn't exactly lying. I just wasn't telling them the full truth.

"Uh, Captain (L/N), ma'am!" Cringing, and ignoring the confused faces of the others, I turned to face a fellow soldier, who jogged up to me from across the room. "I was told by Captain Zacharias that he requests your assistance on a watch later tonight. We will be taking shifts by the tri-hour, ma'am. He also told me to let you know that your horse attempted to eat his uniform..."

Ma'am? Okay, no thanks.

Recoiling, I cleared my throat and scratched my chin with my index finger awkwardly.
"Uh, alright...Thanks...Please don't call me ma'am, or captain, or any of that stuff...Just (Y/N) is fine, really..." I wanted to flee when the solider gave me that dramatic salute, shouting his confirmation before returning to wherever he scurried away from. I knew all eyes were on me, so I cast my gaze to the ground before the questions started.

"Okay, hold up...Captain..?!" Jean was the first to voice his shock, quickly followed by the others murmuring and flustering. 
"How the hell did you manage that so fast? You're like, two feet tall with an even shorter attention span. Don't tell me you've been climbing the ranks in another way..?" I knew Ymir was only teasing me, but it definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Sure, I may have been rather dense when it came to those kinds of innuendos, but that one was even obvious enough for me.

"For your information, Fritz..." I spat her surname with a sass equal to hers. "...I didn't want to come out here for this shit. They didn't exactly give me much of a choice...I'm just acting up, anyway...I don't even know what the hell this is about, but I do know I'd rather not sit around and chat about it." My own change of demeanor altered theirs as well, and they all looked fairly taken aback by my harsh switch.

"Sorry, (Y/N)...We didn't mean to upset you or anything...Ymir's sorry for being rude." Krista apologised on behalf of her oddly clingy friend, who didn't look the least bit sorry at all. Sasha nodded in agreement against the table, where she laid with her upper half sprawled out.
"Yeah, please don't be mad...But, do you know when we'll be getting fed again? I'm so hungry!"

Of course you are...

"No, I don't. Maybe ask one of Mike's guys about it. I'm going to go kill time." I knew I was being unnecessarily short with them, and I did feel bad, but I was conflicted. When it came down to it, I enjoyed spending time with most of them, but distance needed to be made. Not only because of the possibility one of them could be linked to the murderer of my fiance and makeshift family, but also due to the fact that they could all eventually meet the same fate.

The burning sensation of eyes watching my back as I left was uncomfortable, but I sucked it up as I wandered away with no aim in mind. For whatever reason, I ended up loitering around outside, kicking stones and keeping my head down.

Levi and Erwin are gonna get their asses beat when I get back...

Somone clearing their throat close by caught my attention, but I knew exactly who it was. Stiffening, but not stopping, I opted to throw the cold shoulder to my brother, who had found me at last.
"(Y/N)...I just came to ask a simple question, as a recruit..." Nicholas spoke up quietly, keeping his distance.
"Just say it, then." I growled, hunching over and keeping a close eye out for Mike, readying to call him over to keep his promise.

"I was ordered to feed and water the horses, but I noticed yours is roaming freely...I know Captain Zacharias told me to stay away from you, but I wanted to ask permission before I began, just in case you wanted me to leave that to you or someone else..." Nicholas murmured, retreating a few steps when I stopped walking.

Dammit, why do you have to try so hard to be respectful? This isn't making it easy...

"Go ahead. Don't try to tie him up, otherwise he'll kick your ass." I muttered in response, forcing my legs to move. I didn't want to turn around and see his moping face again, I knew I'd feel guilty.
"U..understood, Captain..." He left immediately after that, and I released a long, shaky breath, heading on my way. It didn't take me very long to find Mike, but it was enough time to shake off that shitty feeling.

"Yo, Snuffy...They're all onto us. It's pretty obvious what we're doing out here." I greeted him, climbing up to stand on the small garden wall so I could at least reach the height of his shoulders.
"Yeah, they're a smart bunch." He sniffed, rubbing his nose a little and folding his arms.

He was back go his short responses, but I didn't exactly mind so much. Spacing out, I reached up and poked him in the side of the nose, making him scrunch it up in an oddly adorable way.
"What does Nicho smell like..?" I queried, finally having the balls to ask.
"Ale and deep regret." The man looked down at me with a knowing look, and I pouted, knowing I had awoken his more verbal side once again. "I'm not saying you should forgive him, but at least act civil when possible. That boy hates himself."

He deserves it...

"Noted and rejected." I huffed, yipping loudly as he carefully nudged me to the side, stepping up onto the wall next to me and smirking at my reaction.
"All I ask is that you consider it."

Tall boy tall boy tall boy tall boy tall-

"On one condition..." I nearly snapped my neck looking up at him, and he met my awestruck gaze with a neutral expression.
"Hmm?"

"Let me ride on your shoulders."

***I fucking love him please send help***

.
.
.
.
.
***I fucking love him please send help***