Chapter Forty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Did Hange put you into this as well?" Iris raised a brow. "Because she said the same thing earlier."

"It's what my Dad said... so stop moping..."

"Leon's right." Mikasa spoke. "You followed orders... and you did what you can, so stop beating yourself up because of this..."

The sound of an ODM in function caught their attention. Not far from where they sat, Levi came back to the top of the Wall after bringing Erwin's body to his final resting place in Shinganshina.

"Captain!" They all stood up and saluted him.

After rendering the salute, Levi left and went to Hange's side to talk about the number of survivors and their plan to return to Wall Maria.

"Is everything alright with you and your Dad?" Connie asked.

"Huh?" Iris turned to him. "Why would you ask that?"

"Well, you two didn't really talk or anything..."

"Well, there's nothing to talk about... besides, he and Hange has a lot to talk about since they're the only ones left of our superiors." Iris said.

"Iris." Eren called. "Did the Captain say anything to why he chose Armin?"

Iris sighed, she sat back down on the edge of the Wall and laid down, her legs hanging at the edge. The others sat down on and waited for her response.

"It was finally let Commander Erwin rest..." Iris answered. "We asked him to become the Devil... he have been through hell, and who are we to put him back when he has finally found peace..." A bitter chuckle came Iris, confusing everyone. "It's funny... ever since I met the Commander, I always wanted to kill him..."

"What? But why?!" Eren questioned.

"Because I believed that he took away my father from me." Iris shrugged. "But in those last moments we had with him in that bloody battle..." Iris clicked her tongue in annoyance. "He's a fucking bastard for making me feel this way now..."

"That's the Commander." Leon shrugged. "Man, I don't even know how to break the news to Dad..."

"Why? He and the Commander were close?" Connie asked.

Leon nodded. "Very... Before Commander Erwin even became Commander of the Scouts, he was my father's successor in leading his squad... he always told stories about Commander Erwin, how the man was a genius... Dad would do anything for the Scouts, and it wasn't because of Shadis or the Scouts, but because of Erwin... he trusted him."

"I still can't believe it." Eren spoke. "That we finally did it... we finally plugged the Walls."

"The only thing left is to see that basement of yours." Connie said.

"Once that's over, we finally get to go beyond the Walls." Eren said.

"And we'll finally get to see the sea and climb those mountains." Leon added. "Right, short-shit?"

Iris was silent. Her mind going on with the King's memories...

Thirteen years... she thought. The world is so big and yet I have so little time left...

~*~

When Armin woke, the recruits were busy doing their jobs given to them by Levi and Hange, which was Scouting the terrane for Titans and resources to replenish their lost rations from the battle. They were grouped to squads, with six members and one leader. A group led by Marlo found a forest in Wall Maria, to collect anything that could fill their stomachs.