Ch. 27 "Update: Patient Growled"

Start from the beginning

Aaron winks, laughing to himself. Willow rolls her eyes and mouths 'help'. I laugh slightly, still thinking about Kyle sitting on the other side of that door.

They start backing out of the driveway. I wave goodbye to Willow as she does the same. Just when they disappear around the corner, I start sprinting towards the front door.

To: Luke Hart, Superman

Update: patient's girlfriend stands on doorsteps with her arms wide open

I don't even have time to put my phone away before Kyle's arms are wrapped around my waist and he's spinning me around.

He presses a gentle kiss to my neck as he sets me back on the ground.

"He really wished your text had said 'with legs wide open'," Luke says as he leans against the doorframe.

Kyle bends down to grab a handful of snow, chucking it at Luke. It nails him in the face, which results in Luke sprinting out of the house and tackling Kyle to the snow.

I wait patiently for the fight to end, standing with my arms akimbo.

"Kyle wants to go Christmas shopping," Luke says, brushing the snow off his pants.

Kyle sits in the snow, frowning like a lost puppy. I help him stand up, which requires a lot of strength due to the height difference.

"Does he really?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at Kyle.

He shoots me a thumbs up and starts heading towards Luke's car.

"It's frustrating, yet completely enjoyable," Luke muses, obviously meaning Kyle's muteness. "He can't argue with me!"

I laugh and follow him to his car. Kyle sits in the backseat with me, holding my hand. He runs his thumb over my palm and draws different images.

"Have you seen Haley?" I ask, directing the question to Luke.

"No," he sighs, "this is our first trip outside of Trent's place."

"I think you should see Haley," I say to Kyle this time, pulling my hand away so he'd look at me.

He shrugs and places his hand on my knee, where he starts drumming away.

"Yes!" Luke cries and turns up the song on the radio.

I recognize the song immediately. It's 'I'm a Slave 4 U' by Britney Spears, so as you can imagine Luke is really letting himself go. He has stated many times that this song is his favorite.

Kyle twitches. It's tempting -I can tell- for him to start singing along. He just bobs his head up and down slowly.

I join Luke, belting the song out to the best of my ability. Kyle looks either uncomfortable or seconds away from singing.

Luke pulls the car into a parking spot, shutting off the music abruptly. He takes off his sunglasses and throws them at Kyle.

"Be careful in public, bitch," Luke preaches and gets out of the car.

Kyle and I sit in the backseat for an extra second. As he puts on Luke's glasses, I fix the beanie on his head and press a soft kiss to his forehead.

"I miss the sound of your voice," I say softly.

He squints his eyes, taking in a sharp breath. My heart drops when he just gets out of the car without saying anything.

"I say we go to Build-A-Bear first," Luke muses just as I step out of the car. He's walking way ahead of Kyle and me, clearly pumped.