Ch. 26 "The Silent Treatment"

Chapter 26

AN: just a reminder to reread the last chapter if you haven't all ready! made some changes... <3

"He's just in shock," Luke says as we help Kyle sit on the couch in Trent's basement where he had been sleeping. "It's just one of the many ways Kyle shuts down."

He hasn't said a single word since Owen said Haley was here. We drove to Luke's house, but Kyle couldn't even get of the car knowing Haley was in there. It was a stressful situation, especially since my heart hurt from seeing how glossy Kyle's eyes were as Luke tried pulling him out of his seat. We resorted to taking him back to Trent's instead.

I sit next to him, placing my hand on his thigh. "How long has it been since he's seen Haley?"

"A little over a year," Luke informs and sticks his hands in his jean pockets. "Let's just say that the last time they saw each other was not a pretty sight."

"What happened?" Trent asks and hands Kyle a bottle of water.

"Didn't it have to do with her boyfriend? I remember him telling me that," I muse, squeezing his thigh slightly in hopes of his input.

Luke nods, opening his mouth to say something but stopping when Frankie comes running downstairs.

"Hello!" he cheers and gives me a big hug. "Laura, dad, and I made cookies!"

"Hi, Frankie!" Luke greets with a wave.

Frankie just looks at him briefly before turning back to me with a huge smile. "You have to try them, Cass!"

"I will," I promise. "How about you take Luke and Trent upstairs to try them now and then Kyle and I will come upstairs in a few minutes!"

Frankie sighs and slides of the couch. He takes Trent's hand, leading him to the stairs. Luke huffs, clearly offended by Frankie's favoritism, but still proceeds to follow the two upstairs.

"Please talk to me," I plead, moving a hand to cup the side of his face.

Kyle shuts his eyes, taking in a sharp breath. He slowly exhaled and opens his eyes while doing so. Just when I think he's about to say something, he shakes his head violently and turns away from my touch.

My phone starts ringing, so I pull it out of my pocket to see a call from Anthony. My immediate thought is to deny the call and text him I'll talk later, but Kyle doesn't seem to want to talk right now. I press accept and hold the phone to my ear.

"What's up?"

"I just wanted to make sure you got home okay," Anthony says sweetly. "The roads are really icy and everything."

"That's very thoughtful of you," I muse with a little smile. "Are you home now?"

"Yeah. I'm packing for Alaska," he informs. "But hey, since I won't have my phone there, I want to wish you a Merry Christmas."

"Thanks, Tony. Clark and I wish you a Merry Christmas as well," I say with a glance to Kyle.

He's watching me carefully, his lip tucked behind his teeth. With a nod of his head, he's acknowledging that he wishes Anthony a Merry Christmas.

"Oh! That reminds me, you guys have my vote for class cutest couple," Anthony says with a small giggle. "And don't deny that you're not together. I saw you two at the party."

"How disappointed will Willow be?" I ask rhetorically. "We won't win if you're not even voting for us."

Anthony laughs, though it doesn't sound that genuine. "She'll have to settle with nominating us for cutest lab partners."