Progression

I started thinking about the other day. It had been many days since the confession and Nagito's been avoiding me in class. I couldn't help but feel lonley without him.

"Hajime, focus." Kazuichi tapped my shoulder while whispering during Ms. Yukizome's lecture.

"Sorry." I whispered back to him, adjusting myself in the chair. Suddenly, I averted my eyes to Nagito, who sat in the opposite side of the room. Everything about him was the same, but something was different.. he seemed more, cute?

"Okay class, you will be paired up in a project and so you have to make a brochure on Russia!" Ms. Yukizome summed up her last sentences, snapping me back to reality.

"Can we pick our partners?" Mahiru raised her hand politely.

"Sorry, I will." The teacher slightly smiled while pulling out a sheet that had paired names on it. "Now the partners are Gundham with Chiaki, Mahiru and Mikan, Teruteru and Nekomaru, Hiyoko and Kazuichi, Fuyuhiko paired with Sonia, Peko together with Byakuya, Akane with Ibuki, and Hajime with Nagito."

As I heard my name, I looked at Nagito to see his response, which he did not look excited.

The bell rang, dismissing all the students while the partners formed up, forming a conversation about their project. "Hey, Nagito." I ran up to him before he left and tugged on his sleeve.

The albino bit his lip slightly, blood starting to form at the corner of his lip. "Oh, the project." He sighed, disappointed.

"We can do it at mine." I suggested.

"I'll come over at 5, can you give me your address?" I handed Nagito a slip of paper that had my address, but most importantly, my number.

"S-see you!" I felt my cheeks heat up as I ran off.

I walked back and forth. Tap, tap. The sound of shoes clattering on the hardwood floors showed how anxious I really was for Nagito to come over to my house. I stopped at the front of my door. Wait, how was I supposed to confront him about the confession? The thought of pinning him to a wall and asking him came to mind, but that would be too embarrassing and straightforward. I then considered hugging him and asking about it. No, that would also be too awkward.

"H-huh?" I tripped myself as I heard a knock coming from the door. My face heated up as I slowly reached for the doorknob. I took a deep breath and finally opened it.

"Hello." The soft voice matched up with the appearance, the appearance of somebody who once confessed to me out of love. His eyes stared into mine with a scent of nervousness.

"Come in." I opened the door wider than it's original position. Nagito walked in with a black laptop in hand, probably being for the research.

"I.. brought a laptop to help." Nagito showed it off as I invited him on the sofa.

"Before we start," I titled my body towards him and suddenly grabbed both his hands, "About the other day.." Nagito's cheeks lit up.

"J-just forget about it!" He exclaimed with embarrassment, "You don't have to like trash like me."

"That's not it, but I just want us to be good." A small smile crept up my lips. Nagito bit his lip and sighed.

"Okay.."

"Good, now let's start." I explained the plan of what parts we would both do of the project and we started researching things about Russia like its history and places to see.

"Now, the Trans-Siberian Railroad's famous because it went from Moscow to Vladivostok, being the longest railroad-" I stopped talking as I came to realization that Nagito had fallen asleep. I smiled at the sight of him peacefully resting his head on my shoulder. He's pretty cute when he's sleeping. I stopped, what was I thinking? I shook my head and stood up, carrying Nagito to my bedroom.