Chapter Twenty

Word Count: 1530

~Rosie

Time holds my hand tightly, leading me down the street.

It's almost comical, how we both look. Time has dressed up head to toe in clothing from this era that appears to be popular in this particular area. Both of us wear sheer white outfits that are fashioned similar to robes, hoods pulled over our heads. No one even casts us a second glance, which is a relief.

"I'm still on the fence about showing you this," Time mutters, pulling me down an alleyway. Glancing up, I see snow white painted balconies with drying clothes hanging off. Soft, up beat music drifts from the homes on the other sides of these washed out brick walls.

"Well you have to now, don't you?" I comment. I'm both curious and nervous about what he is planning to show me. I can feel how anxious he is about it too.

I didn't think an immortal could be scared.

We pull out onto another street. There are a lot more people here, that we have to wade through. I catch the gazes of curious eyes, looking at the strange couple walking around wearing full outfits in the heat. It's more important that no one sees Time, but it is still unnerving knowing that they can see me.

"It's a big part of what happens next, so it's important. But it's deeply personal, and you're my mate...It would kill me if I saw this," Time tells me, glancing down at me. I feel that, in the way he says it. Maybe this would kill me...

I swallow uncomfortably, before I remember how I'm supposed to feel."I can assure you I'm not as deeply connected to you as you may think."

"We'll see," he breathes.

We cut down another alleyway, before suddenly emerging onto a concrete road. On the otherside, is a wharf, and then a beach. I'm shocked, for a moment, at the glaring view of the sunlight reflecting off the turquoise surface of the sea. I never knew this place existed. Of course I believed it would be a sea town, but I could never imagine a place like this.

"This place is beautiful," I tell him, looking out across the golden sands, that is more of an orange colour than white. People are scattered across the beach, as we approach. "Tell me it's still like this in real time."

"It's a lot like this, yes. Not as lively though," Time comments.

Instead of going onto the beach, Time leads me away to a small café right on the border of the pier. Without going inside, we quickly sit on a small table outside. I'm not sure what Time is planning, until I glance over at him, seeing where he is staring.

"Is that you?" I say, authomatically. There's a couple on the beach, holding each other, looking down at each other with bright smiles. Complete, and utter love. It's delibitating, which is the most shocking part. I'm watching my mate look at another girl as if she is her whole world. As if suddenly, I don't mean anything to him.

Time exhales. "That's me."

I watch Time wrap his arms around the girl, picking her up and twisting her around so I can get a full glimpse of her. She has long, straight golden hair that billows around her as she is spun around. Her head tips back as she laughs, skin glowing underneath the brightness of the sunlight. Everyone around the couple seems to admire them. It looks like true love.

"That's the girl from the painting," I say suddenly, remembering that night I wandered into Time's art room, and found the portrait which he was reluctant to show me. Now I see why he was sceptical.

"Her name is Amaris. I met here on his exact beach. According to this time, that would have been only a few weeks ago," he tells me, looking dreamily off toward where they stand.