ƚɯσ.

♦︎♦︎♦︎

♦︎♦︎♦︎

September 1, 1989

As the Hogwarts Express finally pulled into Hogsmeade station, every student made their way out of the train and onto the platform. Willa and Cedric were some of the first to exit their compartment – their excitement having quite a bit to do with that.

Tonks had come and found Willa a few hours before they arrived to let her know that they wouldn't see each other until the Sorting Hat Ceremony; that she'd be going by boat across the Black Lake, and that Tonks would be going by carriage. She then swiftly made her way back to her own compartment.

Willa's eyes widened when she saw a giant man (literally) gathering up all the first year students, and followed him to the small boats they were to get on.

"Hi!" Two voices said as they walked past Willa. She turned her attention to them; identical twins with bright red hair, and very wide smiles.

"I'm Fred Weasley. And this is my brother George." Fred greeted.

"You must be Willa. We've heard lots about you!" George said excitedly.

"You have? Do you know my sister?"

"Yep. Our older brother Charlie is in her year." George replied, smiling.

"He says she's one of the best pranksters out." Fred continued.

"We hope to be just like that while at Hogwarts." George finished confidently.

"Her pranks are very annoying but good for you." Willa responded. "Er, this is my friend Cedric."

The three boys greeted each other and then the four of them all hopped into one of the boats, which then took them across the Black Lake to a boat house at the very bottom of the Hogwarts Castle. Hagrid, the gamekeeper (Willa found out his name from the twins), led them all the way up to the castle and an older lady took over from him when they reached the Entrance Hall.

She was tall, wore long emerald green robes, and a pointy hat that was cocked to one side. She was holding a long scroll of parchment and her presence made Willa slightly nervous as she stood before them looking very unimpressed.

Perhaps they were taking too long and she was getting impatient? Willa didn't know, but she didn't want to find out either. She hurried up the steps and made her way to the front of the crowd with Cedric, Fred and George following.

"Good evening students. Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. My name is Professor McGonagall. In a moment, you will walk through these doors into the Great Hall, where you will be sorted into one of the four houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. You will be expected to follow our rules, and in doing so, earning points for your houses. If not, you will lose points, and suffer the consequences. Now, if that is clear, please follow me inside." Professor McGonagall explained.

The first year's followed the Professor through the doors and Willa looked around in awe at the Great Hall. She'd heard from her sister about how wonderful it was to walk into the Great Hall for the first time; the enchanted ceiling, the four long tables full of students, and all the teachers at their table at the back. The whole atmosphere just made Willa even more excited to be here.

The students reached the front and grouped together as Professor McGonagall stood before them, a stool beside her with a ruddy, worn out hat sitting on top of it.

"As I call out your names, you will come up here and the Sorting Hat will be placed upon your head, thus selecting your house."

"Fred Weasley." She said and Fred walked up to the stool and sat down. McGonagall placed the hat on his head and it shouted "Gryffindor!"

The room erupted with cheers, mostly from the Gryffindor table, and Fred made his way over to them. George was next and the same thing happened. Willa watched as he joined his twin and they hi-fived excitedly. Professor McGonagall rattled off a few more names; Willa only half paying attention, mainly focusing on the Great Hall and how great it was, rather than listening to who got sorted into what.

This was until, Cedric nudged her in the ribs.

"Wilhelmina Tonks." Professor McGonagall said, an unsurprised tone in her voice.

I hate that name.

Willa walked up to the stool and sat down. She felt the hat on her head and swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Hmm, interesting. Smart, quick-witted, and plenty of courage. You'd do great in Ravenclaw...or perhaps Gryffindor. But I sense extreme loyalty and kindness...and a talent for mischief." The hat spoke, slowly and with uncertainty.

It paused for a moment.

"Hmm, yes, I think...Hufflepuff!"

Willa smiled widely as McGonagall removed the hat from her head and she made her way over to the Hufflepuff table. Their cheering ceased as she sat down next to Nymphadora.

"Welcome to the best house little sister." Tonks said happily and Willa smiled.

"Cedric Diggory." The Professor continued.

The hat took a moment to decide, like it did with Willa, but ultimately shouted "Hufflepuff!" and again, the table erupted with cheers and applauds (including Willa). Cedric sat across from her and they both whispered congratulations to each other.

Once all the first year's had been sorted into their houses, and the Sorting Hat sang it's (apparently famous) song, Professor McGonagall removed it from the Great Hall then took her seat at the staff table.

"Good evening, and welcome to all our first year students, and welcome back to the returning students and staff. For the first years to know, my name is Professor Dumbledore, and I am delighted to have you joining us here at Hogwarts." Professor Dumbledore said sincerely.

Willa heard all about Dumbledore from Tonks and was a little disappointed to see that he didn't look anything like what she imagined him to look like. Nonetheless, she was excited to finally see him in person.

Once Dumbledore had finished his announcements, the feast began and Willa was in awe of the selection of foods. If there was anything she loved more than being a witch, it was food. So she happily dug in and ate, while talking amongst some of the other first year Hufflepuff's, as well as Cedric and Tonks.

"So, do we call you 'little Tonks' now?" A boy asked and Nymphadora rolled her eyes.

"Er...you can call me that if you want to. Willa is just fine, but I don't mind that." Willa replied.

"Little Tonks? That's so silly." Tonks said and Willa shrugged.

"I like it. I am the little Tonks after all, aren't I?"

"You'll always be helmet to me. And to dad." Tonks replied, laughing and Willa scowled at her big sister.

"At least my name isn't Nymphadora." Willa smirked.

Tonks's face turned into a scowl and her hair turned red again. Willa giggled, then turned her attention to Cedric and began talking to him - ignoring her sister's crude reply.

If only she had realised sooner that by allowing people to use that nickname, she was going to be stuck with it forever.

♦︎♦︎♦︎