33. Holiday Decorations

Start from the beginning

He held out a clipboard for me, and I maneuvered around Francis in my arms to sign it. "Is that all for today?"

"Yes, ma'am. We'll get out of your hair now."

It took the men about five minutes to clean everything up and get into their trucks. It was all so fast that I was taken off guard by their swiftness.

When I went inside, Agata was there to take Francis from me and Katy Nana handed me a steaming cup of cocoa. She made it the best. I was obsessed with the stuff.

"This is really good." I took off my jacket while trying not to spill my cup.

"My mother's recipe. Add a hint of hot sauce. Brings out of the chocolate flavor."

"I'll have to remember that."

I started to kick off my boots.

"Mr. Justin is in a well pissed off mood today." Katy Nana shook her head.

"I know. He's trying to wrap things up at work before everyone leaves for Christmas. Plus Jeremy and Pattie might show up at any moment."

"Oh, right." She nodded.

We were forbidden to talk about those two in the house. As far as I knew, Justin wasn't planning on speaking to either of them for a very long time. I thought he was being childish, but he would counter by bringing up one of my many stubborn moments. He would then distract me with angry sex. It worked every time.

"Mr. Jenks is up there now with him. I believe they would like to speak with you," Katy Nana said.

"Oh, okay. I'll be back to help you with dinner later."

"Carmela and Agata can help. You should rest."

"I'm fine. I want to help," I assured her. "Don't start without me."

She smiled as I climbed the stairs.

It took forever to get up to Justin's office. He was so far removed from everyone else, but I think he liked it that way.

When I walked in, Justin was on the phone walking around with Roman awake in the little pouch attached to his front with his glasses on, which signaled important business. Mr. Jenks, our head lawyer, was sitting in the chair in front of the desk. He nodded to me, not wanting to interrupt Justin with words.

Roman smiled the biggest smile yet when I took him from Justin. I guess he recognized me now, and I was really happy about that.

"Hi, sweetheart. Are you up from your nap?" I cradled him. "You're supposed to be asleep."

"He keeps crying horribly," Justin whispered to me, still on the phone. "Like someone's trying to stab him or something."

"Oh, poor baby. What's wrong?" I bounced him, walking around the room. "You seem fine now."

He started to kick his little legs.

I continued to talk softly as I carried him until Justin hung up.

"That boy was screeching bloody murder in his crib," he said. "Sophia couldn't even take her nap."

"Maybe he has an ear infection. I read that babies get that a lot. But he's okay right now."

"Yeah, after I went to get him. He wouldn't even stop for Katy Nana."

"He just missed his daddy, that's all."

"I'm glad you're here." Justin sat at his desk. "I need you to sign some papers."

"Okay, what about?"