Chapter twenty eight: Approval

It's You by Ali Gatie^

That evening Julie and I shared was beyond amazing. I couldn't explain how much it meant to me. To be able to experience each other in a different, more intimiate in a way that made us closer now.

"What's up?" I walked in and saw dad sitting at the kitchen table.

He looks up from his paper. "You seem to run off a lot. Anything you want to talk about?"

I shrug as I sat down across from him. I watched as his eyes never left mine. I could tell that he was being suspicious, but I brushed it off as I averted my eyes somewhere else.

"You can talk to me, Skylar. About anything. I will not judge you."

I watch as he was looking at me and I couldn't help but wonder if it was the best idea to tell him. He was my dad, but I didn't want him knowing because that could be a risk.

A risk worth taking.

I sigh. "Remember when that police officer came by?" He nods. "And how I told you that it was a misunderstanding?" Again, he nods. "Well.." I trailed off. I look somewhere else for a moment before shutting my eyes.

"It's true."

I was afraid to open my eyes. I kept them close as it was silence around us. My heart was beating quick.

"Skylar?"

I open my eyes to look at him.

"What did the officer say to you? Be honest."

I sighed as I looked down at the table. "He's the husband of Julie's friend. The one I'm seeing. He didn't say much about it. He just told me to be careful until I graduate." I met his eyes. "Are you mad?"

He leans back. "I don't like the idea. I'm not a big fan of it, but.." He looks at me. "You're different, Skylar. I can see it." He tilted his head, slightly. "This woman, she makes you happy?"

I nod. "Yes. So much." He smiles.

"How old is she?"

I stare at him, then spoke. "Thirty."

He made a face then quickly shook his head. "That's.. um, I don't know the word." He slightly chuckles. "Shocking." He watches me for a moment before sighing. "If this is real-"

"It is." I interrupted.

He slowly nods. "If it is real and it's not just something that I don't want to even begin to think about, then.. there's nothing wrong with it. Just take Mr. Patterson's advice and be careful. Until you graduate."

I ran over to him and gave him a hug. I couldn't be happy. My dad didn't disapprove. He accepted us.

It was the best feeling.

-

"How are you and Miss Miller?" Nicole asks as I threw my book in my locker.

I lean against the locker and smile. "Great."

"Aww!" She squeals. "I'm so happy for you."

I smile as I held onto my backpack. I couldn't stop this feeling inside my stomach. Mainly because of being with Julie, but another is because she said she loved me.

I don't think she knows she actually did. I haven't seen her since yesterday.

I told Brian about it and he was a little confused, but he didn't say anything bad. He told me he was happy for me.

I couldn't ask for more supporting friends.

My friends know everything about my life and they never disapproved on anything I did. They were always supportive no matter what and it was the best feeling.