The Perfect Storm

*Sawyer's POV*

"Sawyer! Let's go!" Dad called from the bottom of the stairs.

Dad had decided that two days of sulking in my room was enough. He needed to pick up parts from in town and I was going along. I followed him outside and hopped into the truck. We took off into town, windows down and the radio up. One of Kane's song's came on over the radio. I reached over and spun the dial, looking for any other station than the one playing Kane's song. We pulled into a parking spot. 

Dad handed me some cash and told me to go look around and see if I found anything I liked since most of my clothes were New York fashion and not suited for the farm. It was nice of him, but I had more than enough money. He refused to take it back and took off into the hardware store. With the weather being so sunny and warm, everyone was out. And everyone was staring. 

I decided to check on that dress that I had seen last time I was here. Unfortunately, it was no longer hanging up in the shop window. I was too embarrassed to go in and ask the woman about it. Guess that's my luck lately.

Walking around didn't help as everywhere I looked, things reminded me of Kane. There were couples holding hands, men buying flowers, couples sharing ice cream, and others looking at rings inside the jewelry store. For as nice as the weather was, my mood was anything but sunny. Mrs. Alter's spotted me across the street and ushered me to come into her store.

"I'm surprised to see you back so soon!" Mrs. Alters said

"Yeah, well, things in New York didn't work..." I said

"We heard." She said.

"I can't believe I walked out like that..." I covered my face

"Marriage is a big step and you'll wanna be happy before you decide to settle down. Just don't let that hate for your career blind you to if you really do like that young man." Mrs. Alters advised

"He asked me to stay with him in New York..." I bit my lip

"Did you ever talk to him about what was happening while he was gone?" she asked

"Well, no. But I didn't wanna stress him out anymore - "I was cut off

"But it takes communication for a relationship to work. How was he supposed to help you when he had no idea that something was wrong?" Mrs. Alters pointed

"I can't listen to any of his songs on the radio... I can't sleep because I miss him. You should've seen the look on his face.... He hasn't called....I couldn't handle the stress.... And I said no...." I sobbed as Mrs. Alters held me.

Her husband manned the register as she held me and calmed me down. She had always been the closest thing to a mother to me since I could remember and she wasn't afraid to call me out on my mistakes. She rocked me back-and-forth until my tears had stopped. I wanted nothing more than to hear Kane's voice. I wished I hadn't turned down the radio in the truck. She continued to hold and hug me until my shoulders stopped shaking.

We pulled back as we heard people rushing to the door of the store. People outside were all running in the same direction, screaming something. I couldn't make out what they were saying. I dried my eyes and peaked outside the door, trying to see what the panic was about. But it wasn't panic.

A small crowd had gathered around three trucks in the middle of the square by the water fountain. A drum set and its drummer were stationed on the ground while a base player and electric guitar player were standing in the beds of the side trucks. In the middle, standing on the tallest truck, was a banjo player and someone tall with an acoustic guitar.

It took a moment for the music and lyrics to hit my ears but I knew them instantly. I knew the voice all too well. Kane! Without another thought, I ran out and pushed through the growing crowd. His voice was unmistakable. As I got closer, the more details of the singer I could make out until I burst out into the front of the crowd. It was him! He locked eyes on me instantly.

*Kane's POV*

She was too perfect for me to let her go, so I had packed up my band members and we drove the fourteen hours to Mama's and spent the night. By noon the next day we had everything set up in the town square. My band members had made a few laps around town as I took care of some last minute errands. 

By early afternoon we were ready and it was confirmed that Sawyer was here and very near. She'd have no problem hearing us. I prayed that this would work as my band started up into Sawyer's favorite song of mine, "Thunder In The Rain". It had been her favorite from the beginning of us dating as it represented our wild ride of a relationship in Georgia.

I had almost lost hope after the first verse and chorus, but a crowd had begun to grow. It was no more than maybe twenty or thirty people, but none of them were Sawyer. Then, I saw a flash of red running towards the crowd but got lost inside. I panicked, not wanting her to get pushed over, scanning the crowd like mad, until she broke through and was right in front of me.

I couldn't contain my excitement as my smile grew. I grabbed the side of the truck bed wall and jumped down, cutting the second verse short. I wrapped her up in a hug and tried to manage the rest of the song with a shakey voice and fighting back tears. She buried her face in my chest and I tried to breath.

"Don't leave me like that again." I breathed, closing my eyes as she mumbled something, "What?" I asked

"Yes, I'll marry you..." She said, tears brimming her eyes as well.

"You gotta give me the chance to ask, first." I laughed

Pulling back from our tight embrace felt too soon, but I had something important to do. I pulled out the ring box from the pocket of my green jacket. There were no paparazzi, no fancy dinners, no tux or dress; just me in a pair of blue jeans, white shirt, teal jacket, and boots with my cap on backwards in the middle of a little town in Georgia with Sawyer in her boots, jeans, and plaid shirt. This did feel better and less nerv-racking but it mightve been because it was the second time round. 

Sawyer smiled at me, and my smile was wide as I got down on one knee. Sawyer's cheeks flushed pink and there were little whispers and gasps throughout the crowd.

"Alright. The guys joked that third times the charm if I open this wrong so let's do that first." I laughed and the crowd cheered as I opened it right-side-up. 

"It doesn't have to be New York because I'll love you no matter where we are. An' there's nothin' I wouldn't do for you. I can't promise a life without cameras and attention, but I'm prepared to make sure we have as much privacy as possible. So with no paparazzi here an' just your hometown as witnesses, Sawyer Michigan, will you marry me?" I said

He smile grew as she took a minute to consider all that I had said.

"Yes." She grinned

My heart sped up as I jumped up and wrapped my arms around her tightly. She held onto me tighter. I love this girl. With microphone still in hand, hooked up to the portable amp we had brought, I brought it up to my mouth.

"She said yes!" I said, throwing my hand up in the air.

The crowd around us clapped and some whistles were thrown out. Sawyer laughed. I felt like I was on cloud nine as I slipped the ring onto her finger and gave her a firm kiss.

She said yes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's not over yet! Stay tuned! Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment!