Chapter Thirty-Six

It was a line of veils containing a unnaturally colored liquids. Tabitha frowned, her revenge plot momentarily forgotten. This was... underwhelming. Not at all what she had expected. But when she glanced up at the others, Alistair seemed more than content with the contents. He grinned, his fangs showing. "At last, you have no idea how long I've been searching for this."

"For what? What is it?" Tabitha whispered, watching as he picked up the veil and swished around the contents.

"You do recall the infliction your horrid ancestors gave Emmeline and I?"

Tabitha nodded silently. Because of the experiments Sterlings in the past used to do with vampires, they turned Alistair and Emmeline into cannibals who fed off their own species.

"Well, they not only experimented on vampires, but other creatures as well and by doing so, they unlocked something unnatural and yet quite vital to me," Alistair explained.

Tabitha was aware of them experimenting on other creatures, but she still had no idea what he was talking about. "What does it do then?"

"This little serum right here has the power to turn a normal human being into a supernatural being. And this one," he held up another veil with blue liquid, "can strip a supernatural creature of it's specialness, turning them completely human. Within both of these is a way to cure Emmeline and I. Which is why you are here." Just then one of the doors opened and a beautiful female vampire with long chestnut hair and creamy chocolate colored skin stepped inside. She looked like a doctor, dressed in casual-business clothes. Her heels clicked against the floor as she walked over to Alistair and held her slender hand out. Alistair handed them over with a grin. "Don't disappoint me Divia."

"I will not. I can assure you."

With that, she turned and walked out of the room without so much as a glance at anyone else.

"What is she going to do with that?"

Alistair grinned at her. "Divia is going to study the serums and create a cure for Emmeline and I. Allow us to still be vampires but no longer crave our own species' blood. There's just one more thing I need." His eyes roved over her, making it clear that he needed her for something more. 

This wasn't what Tabitha wanted to happen. She had been a fool and now she had to get out of this mess. Wanting to catch them off guard, she jerked out her hands to grab the box, but Alistair's hand came out wicked fast and grabbed her wrist once more. "Nuh, uh, uh. I wouldn't try and run Tabitha. It would be foolish, and it would make all this more painful than it has to be."

Tabitha scowled, trying to jerk away from his grip, but he held firm. Emmeline sniffled nearby. "Is this really necessary Al? Sebastian is... dead. I don't see how any of this matters anymore." Her voice hitched on the word dead.

When Alistair's gaze fell to his beloved, his eyes softened, and he gave her a gentle smile, holding his hand out for her. An invitation to join him. Emmeline grimaced but walked over, taking his hand. "My love, this will save us from our torment. It has to be done, don't you understand?"

Emmeline hesitated, but then nodded, not meeting Tabitha's eyes. Tabitha glanced around at everyone. Emilio stood tensely near one of the walls, looking ready to pounce. Something wasn't right. Why weren't they chaining her up and torturing her? Why hadn't Keller and Alistair gone through on their threats to kill her? No one was being hostile to her. No one was wanting to hurt her.

Which, oddly, didn't bode well for her.

Tabitha glanced at the door, trying to gauge the distance. She was pretty sure she could make it if she took out one of them. It would be a good enough distraction and then she could bolt for the door. She was desperate enough to try anything right now.