Chapter Three

Tabitha sighed and sat back in her seat, rolling her head back on the head rest. The car idled in front of Sebastian's huge mansion of a home in the middle of the woods. She stared up at the windows and the glass antechamber between the outside and the front door. Time to face Derrick and the Gonzalez's. Sebastian's hand closed around hers and Tabitha turned to smile at him as he squeezed her hand. "You ok?"

She grimaced. "Yeah I guess... I just know I'm going to get in trouble, and there's going to be a huge fight and I still have to go to talk to Kyle and tell him what we found out. We can't risk not following this lead."

Sebastian nodded. "Well I'm behind you all the way. Whatever you do I'll be there to help."

Tabitha grinned and met his eyes. It seemed like an eternity ago that they first met. Tabitha had been hunting in the city and bumped into him on the way to her car. At that point she hadn't known he was a vampire but when he showed up at her high school the next day she tried to stab him in the thigh with her pencil. That didn't go so well but... it started her on the path of falling for one of the creatures she hated them most. And now he was the best ally and boyfriend she could have asked for. She just wished their time together wasn't marred by so many deaths and by the looming threat of Alistair. Tabitha closed her eyes, shutting out Sebastian's concerned expression as that night flashed across her mind. Alistair with his hands around her mother, his fangs digging into her neck. There had been so much blood. Too much blood. On her mom. On Alistair. On the kitchen floor. On her.

The shock had lingered for several days and the nightmares... well, they still haunted Tabitha. Sebastian's finger tapped her chin, and Tabitha opened her eyes, a tear trailing down her cheek. She'd lost her dad three years ago and now she was officially an orphan. Fatherless and motherless. The last hunter of the Sterling line. "Shhh," he murmured, unbuckling her seatbelt for her.

Tabitha sniffled and swiped the tear away. She didn't have time for crying or lingering. Alistair was still out there, and Tabitha had vowed she would get revenge. Kill him and end this. For her father and her mother and the Carters and every other human he's hurt and killed.

She took a deep breath and straightened, putting a smile on her face. He cupped her chin in his hand, his thumb rubbing against her skin in a soothing circle. "You don't have to hide from me, Tabitha. You're allowed to cry. You lost your mother," he whispered.

Tabitha nodded, keeping a smile on her face. "Yeah, I know... I know... I just... don't want to think about it right now. There are more important things to deal with."

Sebastian frowned, leaning toward her. "There is nothing more important than you and your mental wellbeing Tabitha. I just want you to be happy again."

She touched his cheek with her hand, giving him a real smile this time. "I know and I am. I am happy Sebastian. As happy as I can be right now. But I promise my mental wellbeing is intact."

"Alright," he murmured, letting go of her chin. "As long as you're sure."

Tabitha didn't let go of his face, instead leaning forward and pressing a kiss against his lips. A small smile formed against her lips and he traced circles over the top of her hand as they parted. "If you weren't sure, that was a yes. Now let's get out and see what Derrick has in store for us." Sebastian turned the car off and got out. Tabitha following suit and together they made their way through the front door. His house had been built years ago with high beamed ceilings and almost everything made of wood. Rugs adorned the front hall and paintings filled the paneled walls. The upstairs had a selection of seven rooms and the downstairs was equipped with a front room, a huge backroom, a gourmet kitchen along with a dining room and a sitting room. A secret panel near the kitchen led to a basement full of weapons.