Chapter Thirty

No... that was impossible. Sebastian's brother... he had died years ago in the Civil War. Alistair had told her the whole story when he had her kidnapped. How his big brother had come back in a box and how it had destroyed his whole family. Sebastian had confirmed the story, said his brother was dead and from the sorrow on his face, there was no way he had been lying. He wouldn't have kept something so big from her, Tabitha was so sure of it. Which meant... Sebastian had no idea his big brother was still alive and had been down here in this cell for what looked like a very long time.

"You're his brother?" Tabitha whispered.

The vampire nodded, his grip loosening on her neck. "You know him?"

She nodded. "Yeah. I'm his... girlfriend."

That seemed to do the trick. He let go of her throat and let his hand drop to his chest where he crossed his arms tightly, drawing back from her. When she thought of Sebastian's brother she had thought of someone a bit taller and who looked a lot like his little brother. Someone who was strong and capable, who would be willing to fight in one of the bloodiest wars in American history. This man may look like Sebastian's twin, but he certainly didn't look like someone who could hold his own in a war, let alone a fist fight. But... Tabitha supposed that was what happened when one spent too many years behind bars. The Moirai could have been doing who knew what to him.

"Sebastian, is he here?" he asked, his blue eyes widening slightly. His gaze traveled over her, full of distrust and fear as if she would lash out and hurt him at any second.

Tabitha held her hands up to show she meant him no harm. "No... I don't think he's here. But I'm looking for him. Can I... ask your name?"

"Milo..." for a second he looked confused like he couldn't remember where he was and then he said, "I can't remember my last name... It's been so long..."

Tabitha wasn't the crying sort. Usually when she was sad or angry or felt any sort of negative strong emotion she tended to punch stuff, but here, seeing Sebastian's big brother brought so low to the point where he couldn't even remember his full name, hurt her more than she would admit. She swallowed past the lump in her throat. "Davis. Your last name is Davis."

The smallest, hollowest smile touched his lips. "Davis... I haven't heard that name in a long time. And... Emmy? Emmeline," he said, his voice strained. He closed his eyes as if trying to picture his little sister. "Emmeline. That was her name. My... sister. Is she here?"

His brilliant blue eyes opened, and Tabitha shook her head. "No... she's not. But she's safe and she's... Ok..."

Milo nodded. "Good... And you're name?"

"Tabitha," she said with a small smile.

"Tabitha..." he repeated as if testing her name in his mouth.

She thought it best not to tell him her last name just in case he didn't think very highly of the Sterling's. Locked up down here, no doubt he thought her family were monsters and honestly, right now, she wouldn't blame him. Her heart reached out for him and Tabitha couldn't stand to see him locked up here any longer. Who knew how long he had been in this place? He didn't deserve this.

"I'm going to get you out of here," she whispered. Tabitha got to her feet and found a lock holding the door closed. If a vampire couldn't open the door – even weakened vampires were stronger than the average human – then no way she could get it open. But that didn't mean she couldn't find the key. "I'll be right back," she whispered before hurrying away from the cells and back into the lab. In a rush she searched the cabinets and the counters and drawers until she came across a ring of keys. Tabitha grinned and ran back to the cell, her fingers fumbling to find the right lock.