chapter 29

(quick author's note): I edited Chapter 1 a few days ago. The content is basically the same, I was just really unhappy with how it was written and how it characterized Olivia. If you want to read the new version, great! If not, no worries- it's still the same event, just written better.

***

"What are you doing?"

Asher's voice startled me and I quickly closed the drawer, trying to be subtle. I turned to face him and put on my best innocent expression. "Just looking for some toothpaste."

His eyes paused on mine for a moment, looking unconvinced. His stare was so intense that I had to look away.

"Here." He handed me a new toothbrush that was thankfully still in the packaging. "You can get ready and then come upstairs." With that, he quickly turned around and shut the door behind him. The sounds of his footsteps slowly grew quieter as he strode in the opposite direction.

Upstairs? There was only one bed upstairs.

Well, this would be an interesting night.

***

After brushing my teeth and washing my face in the tiny downstairs bathroom, I headed back up to Asher's loft. He was laying on the floor by the foot of the bed, curled up in a pile of grayish blue blankets and pillows. I blushed as I remembered when I had thought we would share a bed.

"You don't have to sleep down there. It's your room, I should sleep on the floor."

Asher groaned and revealed his face from under the thick blanket with a disparaging look. "It's cool. I don't mind."

"Asher, really, I feel bad," I insisted. He shook his head in response, smirking up at me from his position on the ground.

"It doesn't even look comfortable." I tried to persuade him.

"Then why should you sleep here?"

"So you admit that it's not comfortable?"

He groaned again and rolled his eyes, propping himself up on his elbows. "Just sleep in the bed, Olivia."

"Asher, no." I felt awful that I had given him no choice but to let me stay over, and now I was taking his bed. He was being too nice to me already.

Sighing, Asher sat up. "It's okay, really. I'm a gentleman, remember?"

But I wasn't paying attention to his words. Rather, I was staring in shock at his exposed chest. As he lifted himself up, his shirtless abs were in full sight. And in the dim lighting of the cramped loft, I noticed something new that I had never seen before. Right above his waistline, a four-inch portion of skin was raised and bumpy. The red scar made a jagged line on his hip that stood out against his olive skin.

"What the fuck is that?" I breathed out. He followed my eyes and quickly pulled his sweatpants up a few inches so that the scar was covered. That must have been why I had never noticed it— it was low enough that his pants would cover it, unless they were riding low.

Asher's stare had grown defensive as he tightened his jaw and gulped. "What?" His voice sounded hard and lifeless. It was a stark contrast to the happy, playful voice I had heard all day.

"Your scar."

His defensive face turned away from mine as he fully sat up. "It's nothing."

"It looks brand new."

"It's not, okay?"

"Bullshit." My answer obviously took Asher my surprise as he glared at me with a furrowed brow. The tight clench of his jaw grew even sharper.