chapter 11

I saw Asher's eyes narrow in on Noah's arm, which was resting on the seat behind me. Jacob and Shawn continued to glare, a venomous look in their usually friendly eyes.

My eyes widened. I was surprised that they were here, and even more surprised by the obvious hostility they were emanating.

Noah finally spoke up. "We're kind of in the middle of something, Williams." He stated, glaring right back. His arm tightened around me and he pulled me closer to his side, away from Asher.

"Wait, you two know each other?" I asked, confused. They went to different schools, but I guess their social circles could have overlapped a little bit.

"Sadly." Asher muttered, just loud enough for me to hear him. When Noah has pulled me close to him, he had created and empty space in the booth. Asher immediately took advantage of this, sliding in next to me. Jacob and Shawn remained standing, but I saw Jacob shift closer to Mia's seat on the other side.

"So, what's going on?" Asher asked casually, ignoring the glares from Noah and Mason. He stole the rest of my fries, shoving them into his mouth quickly. "Long time no see, Olivia."

"It's been a day." I told him, trying to focus on Noah.

"Well, I missed you. We should hang out." Asher was only talking to me, seemingly oblivious to the three others at the table. I rolled my eyes, annoyed. I was finally trying to get over Thomas, and here he was, messing the whole date up.

"I'm eating with Noah, Asher." I told him. I met Mia's eyes across the table; she was just as confused as I was. I had updated her on Asher and I's newfound friendship, but we were both wondering why he was here, interrupting our meal.

"Looks like you're finished." Asher responded, nodding to the empty plate in front of me. Noah and Mason had scarfed down their food in record time, so their plates were cleared too. "Were you about to leave?"

Noah responded for me. "Yeah, I was about to drive them home."

Mason nodded across the table, crossing his arms. "Alone." He added quietly, but I could tell Asher heard him.

Asher just scoffed, smirking at them. He exchanged a quick glance with Jacob before swiftly standing up, out of the booth. I thought he was leaving, but he turned around and extended a hand to me. I looked at it questioningly.

"Don't worry about it." Asher said to Noah with a fake smile. "I live closer, so I can just take her home." Apparently the boys knew each other well enough that Asher knew where Noah lived. Weird.

I could tell Noah was about to protest, but Mia spoke up. "It's okay, Liv. We can just go with them." She widened her eyes at me, sending a silent signal. I had been so caught up focusing on Noah that I hadn't realized how uncomfortable she was with Mason. Although I wanted to stay, I would leave for her.

I stood up, and Asher flashed a winning smile at Noah, who looked pissed. "I'm sorry Noah. I had a really nice time, though." I leaned down to give him a quick kiss on the cheek, feeling bold. Shawn spit out the sip of my drink that I hadn't even seen him take.

"I'll call you." Noah responded, but he wasn't looking at me. He seemed to be in some kind of staring match with Asher.

After a few moments, I got tired of their little feud. I grabbed Mia's wrist and pulled her to the door, Jacob and Shawn trailing behind us. I turned around to beckon to Asher, who muttered something indecipherable to Noah before following us. Shawn led me to his Range Rover and we got in silently, waiting for Jacob and Asher who trailed behind, whispering under their breath.

The car remained silent as everyone got in and Shawn drove away. Asher sat next to me, but I turned away from him, careful not to let our legs touch.