Chapter 6

Hazel's heart pounded in her chest as she stared in the darkness. She pushed against every corner, trying to find a way out. Just when the terror and panic started to become too much, a stream of light erupted from above her. A pair of green eyes met hers. Klaus opened the trunk of the car, grabbing her hair with a fist to pull her out. She couldn't believe she was living through this again. He threw her to a pair of gleaming black boots as he cackled above her.

"See Mark. You should have listened to me and shot her when you had a chance."

Hazel looked up, raising her hand to block the sunlight from her eyes, to see Mark staring down at her in fury. His icy blue eyes stared at her with so much hatred she couldn't breathe. She then realized it was Mark holding her with an iron grip, closing her windpipe.

"Hazel," whispered Mark.

Hazel stared at his stone, cold face in confusion. His lips didn't move, and his tone didn't match what was in front of her.

"Hazel."

She clawed at Mark's hand around her throat, trying to release his hold. A scream erupted from her throat.

"Hazel, wake up."

Hazel's eyes flew open to meet a pair of blue ones. She pushed herself back as quickly as she could as she let out sharp squeals of fright.

"Hazel, honey, you had another bad dream," soothed Mrs. Muller.

Hazel tore her eyes off of Mark and looked at Mrs. Muller next to her. She looked down at her with sad eyes before rubbing her back in a soothing manner. Hazel brought her hand up to her throat as she buried her head on her knees, letting the tears spill. She didn't comprehend the short conversation between Mark and Mrs. Muller. Her gasps and weeping were all that she could hear.

Hazel sat against the cold concrete wall as Mrs. Muller patted her shoulder until her tears were spent. She raised her head, taking a handkerchief from Mrs. Muller to dry her face, to see Mark was gone.

"Where's Mark?" choked Hazel.

"He went back home. Let's get you into bed. You look exhausted."

Hazel stood up on shaky legs and let Mrs. Muller lead her up the stairs. The sun was beginning to set. The dusty pink rays of light streamed into her room in a seemingly inviting way after spending hours in the dark cellar.

"Just lay down and rest. You can change later," soothed Mrs. Muller.

Hazel nodded and didn't hesitate to do precisely that. She curled up on the pillowy quilt and drifted back to sleep.

***

Hazel stirred as she heard voices in the living room. She opened her eyes and stared at the dark wall in front of her as she listened groggily. She couldn't make out what Mrs. Muller was whispering. Hazel sat up on the bed and turned to the doorway to see Mrs. Muller walk up with a shadowy figure behind her.

"Hazel, I'm glad to see that you are up. Mark sent a doctor to check on you."

Hazel stared at Mrs. Muller in confusion. Mrs. Muller nodded as if she understood Hazel's unspoken words and continued, "Dr. Keller is here to help you. He is a very nice man, and I already spoke to Mark about him."

Mrs. Muller turned on the light on the nightstand. The shadowy figure behind her moved inside the room, revealing a middle-aged man wearing a brown suit. He smiled at Hazel, his old fashion mustache curling at the ends with the movement.

"Should I call you Hazel or Ms. Zimmerman?" he asked with a pleasant grin.

Hazel paused and mustered up enough to reply, "Hazel is fine."

"Mark has told me everything about you."

Hazel's eyes grew wide, feeling the panic starting to build again in her.

"No reason to worry, Hazel. He may not want me to share what I'm about to tell you, but I'm an honest man. And, honesty is going to help us today, so I can help you. He paid me a fairly large sum of money to see you tonight because he trusts I will keep quiet about your identity. I plan on doing that since I will now be your physician anytime you may need one and I have no desire to be involved in the dark matters of the Regime. I think I can help you if you trust me."

Hazel nodded without hesitation. She thought she may cry again with such relief. She could see in this man's face he meant every word.

"I've been told you have been having nightmares. Let's start with that."