Chapter Two ~ The Caged Bird

Start from the beginning

Leon reminded me of Sirius. Sirius reminded me of my holiday in Grimmauld Place. Grimmauld Place reminded me of the World Cup, which inevitably led me back to Drew. It was a sick cycle or bittersweet memories, sour to my tongue yet I yearned for the arid taste to remind me.

"Miss James, please stay behind after class." called the resonating voice of McGonagall.

I nodded vaguely and saw that I was the only student who hadn't packed up their belongings, how long had I been capsuled in my own thoughts? Sighing, I numbly packed away my quill and ink, curling my parchment in to a neat scroll and tucking it in to my satchel.

"I've heard that you shall be the first beating in the Great Hall." she said softly, her hand falling on top of mine, a gesture of comfort.

"Apparently."

"Thank you, for looking after the Hufflepuff. I know your... depth in healing, and ever since Madam Pomfrey was banished from the grounds you're the only healer we have." she continued, her wise old eyes meeting mine.

"I'll do my best." I swore solemnly, nodding gravely.

The deal was struck, and I was soon dismissed. Neville wouldn't speak to me, two weeks under this pressure and we were breaking? I was bitter, absolutely scornful. We were stronger than this, but there’s two people in a whole, and I couldn't force him to forgive me for not trying enough; for not being enough.

"Eat." he said simply, turning his grey eyes to mine.

"I can't." I uttered through stiff lips.

"Is it true, about tonight?" he continued, sipping curtly on his pumpkin juice.

I nodded. I had been beaten privately three times, all for healing or being caught healing injured students. I hadn't done it quite so publicly before, so I suppose the Carrow's had to step up their game. Spearing a tiny square of apple, I devoured it as though it was tasteless dirt.

"I- I'm sorry, it's my fault." he said hesitantly, obviously finding the word 'sorry' hard to push out.

"Don't be, you only reminded me of what I had to do." I replied indifferently, hating talking to him as if he were a stranger.

"Teach me some of the spells, I'll help you. You don't have to be alone." he urged, holding my hand tightly.

"You've been brewing wonderful healing potions, and your plants are helping enough, don't worry." I sighed, smiling tightly at him.

"We're better than this, you know, why should the evil of the Death Eater's poison this." he said sincerely, his hand striking his chest.

"We'll be fine." I said, dismissing the matter that was torturing us both.

 Clutching my hands desperately, he continued, "Just think about your hospital, and my garden."