Chapter Eleven ~ A Shortened Month

Neville's Point of View

 Seven days had passed, seven gruelling days. I spent the daylight hours training my team, with Niamh our newest member, and the night hours finding and perfecting new spells. It all felt so different to any battle we'd fought before, sided by dumb luck and Harry Potter.

This time it wasn't a prophecy in danger, or a stone or any trinket, it was Elle's life. I had tried nightly to contact Viperous, warn her of what was happening and to stay away from her father, but I couldn't contact the Order at all. Bitterness was growing like a weed within me.

Niamh proved to be fairly hopeless at anything that involved hurting people, it seemed to go against her nature. Yet I gave her private sessions and all of my books when I finished to give her the upper-hand. Despite how much she wanted to remain a simple healer, she would have to dirty her hands for this mission.

As I collapsed into my cold bed every night, I think of her. I wonder what she's doing, if she's okay or if they're torturing her. When I think of that bad things grow in my mind, and I imagine her dead. Always she twisted and broken and waiting for me to come.

I wonder too often whether I'm doing the wrong thing by spending this time training, or if I should take these kids straight to her. I still had no idea of her whereabouts, and that never-ending obligation to keep these students safe. The only reason I allowed them to come was because I couldn't do this alone.

As I sat over seeing my team slugging spells at one another relentless, I can't help but ponder on that lingering fact; we don't know where she is. Glancing at the door every spare moment I formulate a plan that grows more and more appealing with every moment.

"Abbott!" I yell, bringing the blonde girl before me.

"Yes, Neville." she replied in a monotone voice, eyes barely making engaging contact.

"You're in charge, I have to go... uh... survey the halls."

Niamh gave me one of her warning looks and appears as if she might follow me, quickening my long stride as I rush out of the Dorm. My feet make a steady pace down through the school, as I try my hardest to evade detection. My knack for being virtually invisible in this school seems to be intact as I'm not noticed.

Hagrid's hut is lonely at the base of the sloping field beside the school, no cheery fireplace emitting thick smoke, nor lights illuminating the shabby windows. He seemed to be the safest presence in the school without Dumbledore, perhaps due to his honest nature, or perhaps due to his sheer size.

Rushing to hide behind the worn stone slabs that create the tumbling hut, I look up at the school and noticed the black swarms of dementors floating through as nonchalantly as the school ghosts. Apparently my morose disposition makes me an unattractive target, and I am left in peace.

"Leon!"  I hiss into the general forest area.

I doubt that the chubby red panda would venture too far into the forest, what with the many dangerous and mysterious creatures lurking within. Trying not to belittle the little creature by calling to him like a cat, I settle for shouting his name into the shrubbery.

Hours seem to pass and my voice goes hoarse, but finally a red bushy tail emerged from the bushes. I wished that I could talk to him as Elysia did, yet I had faith in his ability to understand English. The little creature stared up at my with its brown eyes inquisitive as to the nature of my visit.

Coughing nervously, I begin to talk to him as I would any human, "Leon, Elysia is in trouble- uh... I guess she always is... But, the Death Eater's got her this time."