Chapter Six ~ Christmas Gifts

The fire sparked to life, and with it our grins sparked also. Gripping Neville's hand dangerously tight, I observed as a face appeared in the fire. Tonks smiled up, her face made out of coals and embers in the fireplace. A weeks worth of spells and enchantments made this unseen by Voldemort's forces.

"Elysia! Oh my God, oh my... REMUS!" Tonks screamed, her grin growing wider.

"Tonks! Tonks tell us anything!" I cried out, nearly touching her fiery face.

"The baby is coming soon!" she replied, attempting to point below her.

Though the news wasn't what I meant, it was pleasing nonetheless, both Neville and I replied with our congratulations.

"Is Viperous there?" I said at last, growing gravely hopeful.

Tonks's smile faded, before she nodded and her face exited the fireplace. Though Neville and I were the only people present, we knew what this meant. The contact was made, if nothing else we could get messages to the children from their families, they could see their parents faces again.

"Elle?" Viperous whispered, her slight face entering the fireplace.

White-hot embers displayed her hair, her eyes golden in the fire. The grin that overtook my face hurt my cheeks, and Neville laid a kiss on my cheek before leaving to give us privacy. Kneeling before the fireplace I could feel tears springing to my eyes.

"It's been months. You know, Aberforth Dumbledore offered to smuggle me to the Order." I began, nearly choking on tears.

"And you didn't accept?!" Viperous shouted, a look of alarm crossing her face.

"I'd be no help there, you know that." I replied, shrugging as if the decision wasn't still haunting me.

Viperous, however, was distraught, entering a real panic. Fred whispered some comforting words in the background, but no words were spoken but that for several minutes. I felt a warm happiness spread over me as I realised she was with Fred, at long last.

She had loved him so long and hardly realised it.

"What if something happens to you? You would have been safer here!" Viperous said at last, her voice raw as if from tears.

"I owe this to the children. This is my duty." I replied solemnly, growing worried for Viperous.

"Your duty?! Your duty is to stay alive! Your duty is to continue to Dumbledore name and die of old age!" Viperous cried out, leaning further into the fire.

"I promised Dumbledore that I would protect these students." I said finally, my voice dangerously serious.

"He asked for a lot of things from people, you know. For all we know Harry couldn't take the responsibility- his 'duty'- and ran for it." she whispered, her words full of betrayal.

"We can't think like that, okay?"

"There's talk that they are going to execute muggle born wizards and witches next year." Viperous whispered through numb lips, "If Harry doesn't return in time."

"They wouldn't; someone would act out! There's millions of wizards over the world!"

"Millions of death eaters, too." she replied, more tears approaching her voice.

A deathly silence overcame us, small talk concerning Tonks and Remus did no good, Viperous was beside herself with worry. The plain room surrounding me seemed to grow larger and more remote as I sat wordless in front of her.

"I can't have you in any danger. How many students are at this Dorm?' Viperous said finally.

"Three hundred and eighty." I said slowly, proud of the figure.