Chapter Eight ~ The Right Thing

On the first day of February, we decided to make contact with Slytherin. Not ambitiously, but subtly. Ginny nodded her head and assured me that she knew someone that would join us for a certainty. And so, we all waited eagerly. Neville was passionately opposed to the idea, but he had to accept it in the end.

For all we knew, those Slytherin's could be as badly treated as us, they deserve a chance as well. I doubted it, however, and even I had a sense of uneasiness about it. If Ginny's friend came into the Dorm, what would that mean? Would the flood gates be open?

For hours we waited, all of our little classes halted in eager patience. Finally the door opened and we all held our breath, waiting. Shuffling, stumbling footsteps drew more of our attention, forcing our throats to halt and our breath to hold.

Ginny stumbled in, before collapsing into a bloody bundle.

Automatically the students began to hover towards her before one look form me drove them into the next room. Scooping the injured girl into my arms, I carried her into our hospital wing and observed her injuries. Her hair was red with blood, as was half her face.

"Ginny?"

"NO! NO! DON'T! ELYSIA... ELYSIA!" she screamed, clawing at me as I tried to heal her.

"I'm here, I'm here." I whispered, raising my hands slowly.

Blood dribbled from her mouth as she began to speak, her eyes shrouded in matted and bloody hair.

"They- They've made the Slytherins 'prefects'... Willow is one of them, they... Oh God..." she sobbed, rubbing her sore mouth.

"Shh... Talk in the morning..." I advised, waving Niamh to come closer.

"They're rewarded for capturing us... It was a trap- Merlins beard, of course it was... Willow and Pansy are the leaders... I thought- I'm so sorry..."

 "Ginny, rest." I commanded finally.

My wand found its way into my fingers, and I knew what I had to do. Directing it at Ginny's still murmuring face, I whispered 'Sleep' and watched as a purple haze, barely visible, settled over her mouth, forcing her to inhale the tranquilising substance.

Sleep caught her within seconds, shutting her senses with such absolution that I could break her bones and she wouldn't feel a thing. Niamh edged closer, all too familiar with the enchantment, a look of concern on her face that I had almost lost.

"How long do you think she'll be gone?" Niamh said softly, rubbing Ginny's bruised hand within her own.

"If it's anything over twelve hours she's worse than I thought." I said after much consideration.

Fourty five hours later, Ginny awakened from a comatose sleep. Rubbing her eyes she entered a panic again, this time more agile and less injured. Grasping her hand firmly, I pushed her shoulders back against the bed and sat beside her, eagerly waiting.