Chapter Nineteen ~ Final Moments

Suddenly, the sickly voice of Voldemort filled our heads.

"You have fought valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat, immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead-" my eyes shot the Snape, "-with dignity. Treat your injured."

"Nev, we have to go... We gotta go... I can go and heal everyone..." I said desperately, trying to suppress the presence of the prophecies truth in my head.

Neville awoke from his semi-slumber, holding my hand for dear life as we left Snape in the Shrieking Shack, alone and bloody. I knitted my eyebrows as if in concentration, but in fact I was only trying to overwhelm the newest waves of tears; whether from the future or the past.

This intangible grief was threatening to cripple my limbs and leave me weeping in the dirt. My thumb rolled in sweet circles against Neville’s skin, every valley and mountain of flesh so microscopic on his skin significant to me; I wanted to stretch it all out a few moments longer.

And there he was.

Shivers travelled down my spine like a wild cat in chase, fear replaced with some sort of cool confidence. The moment was brought to its crisis far quicker than I had ever wanted, yet I couldn't squeeze another drop out of this long night. My eyes gazed up at the castle, assured somehow of Viperous's safety. Releasing Neville's hand quietly I left him on that grassy slope to confront Voldemort as he travelled to the Forbidden Forest.

"Look, my gifted daughter approaches." Voldemort declared, stopping his party to face me.

"You killed my true father, you fucking bastard." I declared, drawing my wand with insane stealth.

"I am your true father, and I am very much alive. However, if your feelings of sentimentality are towards Severus Snape; I will inform you that your growth was a mere formality. He did not succeed in producing me a worthy heir, anyhow, with that useless pup of yours always in tow." Voldemort spat, glaring at Neville far behind me.

"You don't know the half of it, but to that I laugh." I retorted, stepping closer (much to the shock of the Death Eater's).

"She exhibits such boldness only in the face of death; the fool understands my prophecy. You failed." Voldemort continued, his voice as slimy as an eel.

"You've lost, don't you see?" I replied, dropping my wand slowly.

"If you wish so fondly to join your fathers, I'll assist you, with Severus's own touch no less. Sectum sempra!" he bellowed, his wand sending a wave of light towards my abdomen.

Long slices ran up my body, deep into my flesh. I felt that it had indeed sliced into my lung, as blood followed my every breath. Neville rushed behind me reaching his hands out to carry me before I held my hand up to stop him. The wounds were bad, terribly bad, pain tainting my every thought such as never before.

Tears beginning to make my ribcage shiver I thrust my hand backwards blindly, groping the air for Neville’s. It came to me quickly, and mutually we gripped each other with such ferocity it hurt. It was a good hurt, though, a distraction from the blood springing from my mouth with each breath.

"Here's your choice, Elysia, make it well." Voldemort added, red eyes looking deep into mine with nothing but curiosity.

Time slowed. They say that the adrenaline released in times of crisis allows the brain to think quicker, making time only appear to seem slower. Yet, some magic must have intervened right now because I could never have watched actions so swift with such calmness had the clocks not been running slow.