"joey?" my heart stopped. i swallowed the lump in my throat and looked over to my side. i widened my eyes when i saw my mother standing there holding kash's hand. "joey!" kash exclaimed. my mother looked at him confused, she flickered her eyes over at me again.

i gulped. "mom."

-

"i didn't know it was you at first. kash needed his diaper changed last minute so we came back inside." my mother smiled nervously. "i wasn't expecting to see you here."

after i got my order taken i sat down in the far back booth that was in the corner of mcdonald's and chatted with her for the past five minutes. i was expecting her to immediately call my father or the police, but she didn't.

"you look so grown." she looked me up and down. i nod slowly. "yeah, i am."

"it's so good to see you joey." i scoff.

"yeah i'm sure it is." i mumble. she glanced over at the window before looking back at me. "i mean it joseph, i owe you an apology."

i stayed silent. i didn't know what to say, i guess i've been so busy day dreaming about this moment that i didn't necessarily think of what i was going to say to her.

she leans over the table and caresses my cheek with her thumb. i look at her with teary eyes. a tear ran down her cheek. "i didn't mean for any of this to happen, i really hope you can forgive me for blaming your sisters death on you."

a tear ran down my cheek. she wipes it away with her thumb. i nod slowly. "and i hope you can forgive me for telling the police you're here."

i furrowed my brows when she pulled her hand away. she got up from the booth and took kash's hand. i look over at the window and almost jump out of my seat when i saw a couple of police officers make their way to the entrance.

"you set me up?!" i shout. she didn't say anything except pick kash up. before the police officers could come in, i ran over to the exit door and ran out.

i could hear footsteps chasing after me, but i kept running. i ran into a busy road where cars suddenly came to a stop and honked at me. i ignored it and ran to the other street.

i pulled out my phone and dialed dev's number. he picked up seconds after. "hello?" he says.

"yo dev! i need you to get everyone packing and out of the house. my mother spotted me and she has cops looking after me!" i shout into the phone.

"what?!" he shouts through the phone. i stop for a brief second to catch my breath. i look over my shoulder and see police cars driving the opposite direction of me.

"meet me in the back of walmart, that's where i am right now." i pant heavily before hanging up. i was in the back of walmart trying to catch my breath. thank god it was empty.

june

dev told us about how joeys mother spotted him at mcdonald's. soph had to leave right away after we got the news just so her mother didn't suspect she knew joey was here. she wished us luck and told her to text her everything that happens which i will.

the boys and i hurried up and packed our stuff. we head out to the car and get in. i sit in front with dev while tayler sits in the back. i still couldn't believe joeys mom would call the cops on him, his own mother.

dev drove to walmart where joey was, he head to the back of the store where joey was. we spotted him sitting there as he hugged his knees close to him. he had his hood over his head. dev honks the car making joey look up.

joey rushes over to us and gets in the car. "drive!" he tells dev. dev hits the pedal and drives very fast. "slow down before we get pulled over!" tayler shouted.

i could see dev roll his eyes in the corner of my eye but he slows down. i look over at joey. "what happened?"

joeys eyes were red and puffy, he looks like he has been crying or something. "turns out, my mother doesn't care about me the way she used to." he laughs, but it sounded like more of a cry. "it's okay though, i just didn't expect her to call the cops on me."

"man, fuck her." tayler scoffs. we all look over at him, including dev who looked at him through the mirror. "she's still his mom, don't say that." dev rolls his eyes.

"so what's the plan? where are we going to go now?" i looked at all of them. joey and tayler stayed silent so i looked over at dev and waited for an answer.

"mexico." he says blankly, he looks at me. "i know a guy who can sneak us in. we'll see him tomorrow but right now we need to find a hotel where we could stay the night at."

i nod and look over at joey. "i love you."

"i love you."

-
boring chapter but i'll try to make the next one exciting!