Chapter 8

*3rd pov*

Silently groaning, Neo started to slowly awake to the annoying sounds of a heart rate monitor. Her unfocused eyes wandered trying to recognize where she was and how she got there. She tried to move her body but a severe weakness prevented her from moving anything more than her head and eyes.

To her right, she heard the flipping of a page of a book, turning her head to the source she stared until her swimming vision would obey her will and focus on her target. When she finally got a good look at the person her heart sank and she felt truly afraid. Professor Ozpin, the leader of the hunters in Vale that would just love to execute her, was glancing at her while calmly reading.

Panic spread throughout her as she was a wanted criminal, alone, with no idea of her whereabouts, not able to move a single muscle, facing someone both she and her boss Roman would consider the most dangerous and influential hunter alive. She wanted to scream in frustration until she remembered what happened to her earlier. Her first friend and ally, Roman Torchwick was betrayed and slaughtered...

Flashback bitches!!

All she could remember was Cinder calling a meeting with him alone, then all hell broke loose. People she once considered allies, the White fang, burst in and started killing everyone! Lead by Adam Taurus and an unknown scorpion faunus, they systematically killed all her and Roman's men shouting about  betraying them. She tried fighting back against the fang, killing one faunus after another, but they outnumbered her 30 to one. She fought as well as she could but Adam rushed her as she was tiring. The only reason she lived was because Roman somehow was able to fight off Cinder and cut off Adam's hand with a fallen man's knife.

What followed was more terrifying as Cinder, the scorpion, and the now enraged Adam all converged on the wounded criminal boss. Her scroll buzzed and she read his final words.

"Use your semblance and play dead. Thanks for everything shorty"

Roman tried to fight but as tired as he was he was simply no match. Adam sliced off his legs and the scorpion impaled him from behind. Roman coughed up blood as he sent one final look at Neo and smiled. Neo used her semblance to appear as if she succumbed to her wounds as her tears mixed with not her and Roman's blood. By some miracle from God himself they left after defiling the bodies and leaving their message.

She was slipping in and out of consciousness, as she felt curtain that she would meet her friend once again when she heard footsteps and the color gold. Reaching out she grasped what her muddled mind could only perceive as an angel taking her to paradise.

Back to the present now

Neo was crying as she remembered the tramatic sacrifices of both her men and friend who saved her from the street. She was just a random orphan until Roman came and took her in. He was a criminal sure, but he treated the young girl like his very own daughter. The man gave her food, shelter, and most of all family, and now he gave up his very life for her.

Ozpin: So your awake?

Neo glanced and nodded at the man, no longer caring whether she lived or died. Ozpin took note of her tears and dead look in her eyes and felt sorry for her.

Ozpin: Sorry about the restraints but you are a dangerous individual Neapolitan.

Neo just continued to stare lifelessly at him. Ozpin closed his book and coughed into his hand.

Ozpin: In any normal situation, I would, unfortunately, have to give you up to the proper authorities, as you have broken many laws throughout much of Remnant. You are the right hand to one of the most infamous individuals in the world.

Neo thrashed a bit and leaked fresh tears at the disrespect given to Roman.

Ozpin: Due to your past, you could expect to face harsh interrogation, leading to a trial, and extremely likely execution with prejudice and that's just for the crimes in Vale... But...

Neo perked up

Ozpin: This event is anything but normal. I'm nothing if not merciful, and due to the heartfelt plea from one of my students at my school, Beacon Academy, you will be granted ONE chance to atone.

Neo couldn't believe her ears! After all she done, this man was going to let her go!

Ozpin: As you no doubt know, I am the headmaster of a school that trains future hunters and huntresses to protect Remnant, and if you agree to leave your criminal past behind you, I'm willing to allow you to join the aforementioned student's team as a huntress in training. He went through great lengths to save you and now he is sticking his neck out for you, so I wouldn't waste this chance. Ultimately it's up to you though...

Neo's mind raced as she was fed this information. Someone saved her?! She was being offered to become a huntress?! The people that hunted her and Roman down when they robbed banks and the like?! HER?!

She had to admit the idea did appeal to her. Before she was kicked out of the orphanage at the age of six for her multicolored hair and eyes, labeling her as a freak, and meeting Roman, she, like most children, grew up listening to stories of the brave hunters and huntresses that protected the innocent. She wanted to BE a hero like that. But that dream died when she was turned out into the snow by the matron...

Now after over a decade's worth of crimes that crossed the planet, she was now being offered the chance to be one of the heroes she idolized in her youth. She wanted to laugh at the irony as she abandoned those childish views ages ago. Only three thoughts stoped her from outright laughing at this offer.

First off, she literally had nowhere to go. Without Roman and their men, she was alone and in custody. No one would come for her.

Two she had to admit she was curious on who in fact saved her and would stick their neck out for her.

Finally Roman would have wanted this. She once overheard him talking to Junior saying that Roman wished she had a better life. One free of crime and the like. Roman have up everything to save her and dying in a cell after that would feel like she failed him...

One of his first lessons after she awoken her semblance was that, while she can make phsyical illusions, they don't effect her voice. Therefore she spoke as little as she could possibly get away with. She communicated with sign language and text messages to avoid people from recognizing the one thing she couldn't disguise.

Now for the first time in years, she spoke in a quiet voice to Ozpin.

Neo: Fine, I'll join you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A/n I am well aware that Neo is mute in canon but here she just hides her voice. She won't as much anymore because she has no need to... That and I'm lazy to have her text everything she wants to say! I tried writing it out like that but it was a MAJOR pain in the ass!! So with the power of bullshit I've magically have her back her damn voice...)