Chapter 3

July 19

J: Hey, it's Jug
J: You okay?

Betty reads the messages and a small smile comes onto her face, saving the number.

B: how do i know it's you?
B: i mean, i shouldn't talk to strangers...

Jughead smiles a little, taking a selfie and sends it to her, most of the photo featuring the beanie. Betty smiles, admiring his goofy face on the screen for a moment and answers.

B: i'm fine
B: actually got some new clothes over a few years.
B: feels great
J: When are you coming home? I was hoping to hang out with you, now I'm just lonely and bored and sad
B: aww
B: i hope i'll be back in a few days... my half siblings aren't as bad and snobby as i thought, actually kinda cute
B: and annoying
J: Yeah, well, I'm cuter
B: and more annoying...
J: Sad but true...

Both of them just smile for a few minutes, not knowing what to say now.

J: And now... Can I get a picture of you too?
J: You know, for your profile picture
B: my profile picture?
B: juggie, are you one of those who adds a phone number and a freaking picture?
J: Maybe...

He smiles at the adorable nickname she gave him when they were younger. A few moments later, he gets the picture. She's smiling with her tired eyes, just woken up and looks a little worn out, but extremely cute.

J: 😘

Betty smiles at the kissing emoji, but doesn't know what to answer with. She likes him. A lot. And she'd want to play hard to get, but she can't, because she likes him too much for that. So she does answer.

B: 😚

He gets taken aback from the response and reads her mind perfectly. She sent the same emoji, without a heart. Meaning she feels the same, but doesn't want to show it that much yet. And he likes it. He decides to be even braver than before.

J: You look beautiful

Her breath gets caught up in her throat as she reads the text. No one has ever said that to her before. Even she doesn't think that way. She isn't sure what she's supposed to answer, so she just drops the phone on the bed next to her and keeps thinking about that one sentence.
During that time, Jughead's smiling. He's hoping she didn't get mad, but inside he knows she was happy. He always thought she looked pretty, but now, when they're both grown up, she looks even more beautiful. He knows no one probably ever tells her that, because he's seen what kind of clothes she's forced to wear and he knows she gets bullied for it. He doesn't care what others think. She looks breathtaking no matter what fucking clothes she has or how much money her family has. She's a wonderful girl and he likes her more and more every second he sees or talks with her.