The Encampment

Magsimula sa umpisa

My eyes were still on the figure when I saw it move. I squinted, trying to get a better look at what it was doing. The figure glided forwards, but didn't seem to be getting any closer. Then it stopped. I frowned-what was it doing?
Then it opened its mouth and let out a shriek. The noise lasted for less then a second and was high pitched, not loud.

I jumped back, into Rhea who whinnied, and gasped. When I looked back, it had disappeared.
My heart was beating quickly, and I took deep breaths to slow it.

"Ryanne?" It was Legolas.
He walked slowly over to me and stood behind me. "What happened?

So he had seen me jump, startled.

"Nothing, I just-" I broke off, not wanting to sound crazy.

"You saw something in the mountain."
It wasn't a question, he knew what had happened.

I nodded. "It just startled me." I told him. "What was it?"
"I can't say. There are many beings who dwell in those rocks."

We stood there a while longer, seeing if the being returned, but it didn't. I was disappointed but also relived. It had scared me, which was weird for me to get scared that quickly.

"Come on." Legolas whispered. "Let's go find Lady Éowyn and our Hobbit friend." He took my hand and I took Rhea's reigns in my other one and allowed him to lead me away from the mountain.

~~~<<<~~~>>>~~~<<<~~>>>~~~

"There, now you look like a true warrior of Rohan!"
Éowyn stepped back from Merry and examined him.

He was dressed in armor that looked a little to large, but protected him. He had a helmet on that almost covered his eyes and carried a sword that he held well, but seemed to heavy.
But them again, Hobbit swords are more like letter-openers.

I laughed as Merry's face lit up when she said that. "You do." I agreed with her. "Very terrifying."
He smiled even bigger at that.

Luckily, someone had found Elvish armor for Legolas and I, so I had some comfortably fitted on. My quiver and bow were strapped on my back, my shirt swords behind by quiver and my daggers on my thighs.

Éowyn looked at Merry, then picked up his sword.
"But you will never kill any Orcs with this blunt blade!" She examined. Then, handing it back to him she said "Off to the Smithy! Go!"
The Hobbit turned and jogged out of the tent, carefully holding his sword as he went.

I looked at Éowyn and smiled. "You are fighting with us, I assume." I told her. She smiled back. "My mind has not been changed."

She picks up her own sword from a table by her and strapped it on her waist. Then she followed Merry's footsteps out of the tent and into the cold night air, with me right behind her.

We saw the Hobbit in the distance, swinging his blade around as if there was an invisible enemy attacking him. He ducked and maneuvered, still hacking at the air in front of him.

I smiled and Éowyn chuckled at the sight.
"You should not encourage him." A rough voice said.

I looked up and saw Éomer, clad in armor, siting on his horse.
"You should not doubt him." Éowyn cooly replied.

Éomer chuckled. "I do not doubt his intentions." He told us. "Just the reach of his arm."
Besides him, Grimbold laughed at that, but Éowyn didn't think it was funny.

"Why should Merry stay behind?" She demanded to know. "He has as much right as you do to go to war! Why shouldn't he be able to fight for those he loves?"
Éomer glanced down at her.