Chapter 4: Toothless meets Soulver

Nick's POV:

I woke up gasping for breath, for I had the exact same bad dream as before. I whimpered in fear, scared that I would have to face this terrible dream every night from now on whenever I go to sleep. I looked up to see the peaceful face of my father, Soulver, before deciding to try to go back to sleep.

________

The dream was more vivid this time, for I was restrained by the claws of the same dragon as the one before. I watched as it looked down at me before letting out an evil and deep chuckle that shook my body.

"This one could be useful to me, it just needs to know who it's Alpha is."

I then felt one of the claws of the dragon start to press down on my body, crushing the air out of me. I gave out a loud whine to try to call Soulver. To my relief, he started to fly towards me. I wasn't worried, until the monster started to laugh.

"What's this? A worthless nobody who thinks they can defeat me?!"

"Let my hatchling go you hideous disgrace of an Alpha!"

The dragon batted Soulver with its huge paw. I heard a screech of pain before the beast hits Soulver again. This time, I heard nothing for Soulver started to fall from the sky.

The monster soon lets me go and I ran as fast as I could to my Father. When I got there, I was too late. He was already gone, but I didn't want to believe it so I nudged his head with my own. I tried to nuzzle him. I tried everything, but his eyes remained glassy and dull with a soulless expression in it. I started to weep, then the weeps turned to howls as I let out all the pain and misery I was feeling. Then I felt the beast pick me up with its claws and gripped me tightly in its paw before holding me up to its face. I struggled to breathe and squirmed in its grip.

The dragon growled in disappointment, "So, you are just a weak, helpless, useless hatchling after all..." he said before he started to crush me within his grasp. I tried gasping for air, but I couldn't find any. I tried breathing fire, but couldn't inhale enough air to generate the gas. My whole world soon started to go black and my heartbeat pounded in my ears as I ran out of air. The last thing I heard was the evil chuckle of the dragon and the sight of Soulver being thrown away before everything went dark.

______

I woke up screeching as loud as my tiny lungs could. I was in a cold sweat and my eyes had widened in fear. It was so much worse than the first dream. And the worst part was, I could remember each and every detail of it. The dream had stayed with me. I was shivering in fear and started to cry. Why! Why me! I was only a hatchling, so why do I have to endure this? I didn't deserve this. This wasn't fair! Who was this dragon that keeps plaguing my dreams? Why does it have to be me?!?

I sobbed loudly in fear and sadness at the misfortune that plagued my sleep before looking up to see the concerned eyes of my father, Soulver.

Soulver's POV:

The first thing I hear after stirring to consciousness was the sound of young Nick's screech. The young one looked around with his eyes in a fearful gaze, pupils in slits and gasping for air. He was crying, sobbing in fact, almost as if he had experienced the most horrendous thing any living being has ever witnessed. The little one looked up to see my concerned gaze, and quickly started to cry against my scales while trying to hug me with his small, fragile form. He sobbed, letting out all the fear and anguish he had just experienced. I immediately hugged him, ignoring the soreness in my wings and body. Seeing him like this pained me for reasons unknown to my heart, but all the more to comfort him.

Nick kept sobbing and crying, all the while as I held him closely. He held on to me, as if he were afraid that if he would let go, I would somehow vanish or leave him in an instant. After a while, he eventually calmed down as his sobs turned into sniffles while he loosened his grip as the sun starts to rise above the horizon. He still had a fearful look in his eyes as he slowly edged away from me.