A Little Mix-Up

"Woo hoo! Girl power!" Lucy chanted as Mira stamped the job request. The blonde turned towards the rest of her friends and grinned. "We ready?"

"This is such a perfect job!" Levy squealed, linking her arm with her best friend's. "No guys, either. Maybe that makes it better?"

"Juvia misses Gray-sama already," sighed the water mage who immediately received a hard back slap and hug from the red-haired requip mage.

"No worries, Juvia! You're with us! You won't even have time to miss him!"

"Think how proud he will be of you when we come back successful," Lucy added with a wink. "I'm sure he'll be all over you! Plus, this gives him time to miss you!"

"Oh yes," agreed Levy, jumping on the bandwagon. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder!"

"Really?" Juvia's eyes sparkled as she imagined the homecoming Gray would give her.

"Now you've lost her," Mira giggled, taking it all in.

Erza nodded, and then simply picked Juvia up and threw her over her shoulder, Juvia still babbling about her "Gray-sama."

The girls exchanged winks and then walked out of the guild.

It was several hours later and the guild was filled with members. Mira smiled as she saw the fire dragon slayer approach the bar.

"What can I get you, Natsu?" she asked in her cheery voice.

She saw Natsu looking around, a confused look on his face. "Where's Lucy? I checked her apartment and she's not there and she's not here."

"Aw, Natsu, do you miss Lucy?" Mira cooed, making him blush.

"Well, um, I thought we could go on a job together," Natsu answered, uncharacteristically stumbling over his words.

"Oh, well, you're too late for that! Erza, Juvia, Levy, and Lucy all took a job this morning! Don't worry, Natsu. Lucy will be back by this evening, I'm sure!" Mira grinned. "Maybe you can go comfort Gray since he's obviously pining away for Juvia," she continued, giggling, pointing over where Gray sat, alone, at a table.

Natsu, seeing his chance to pass some time before Lucy returned, sported an evil grin as he went to antagonize his best friend.

Later that evening:

The guild door burst open and a group of female guild members came striding in.

"How was the job?" Mira called out, waving a hello. She was surprised when it was Levy, not Erza, who spoke up first.

"Successful. We completed our mission with few damages." Levy's voice was matter of fact as she walked over to the bar and sat down, surveying the guild. "How are things here?"

"Um, fine," Mira shrugged. She was surprised Levy hadn't walked over to join Gajeel at his table.

"Oh yeah, we did awesome! Maybe we should go without the guys more often! This time we didn't lose any jewel like we do when the guys go and cause all the damage!" Juvia whooped uncharacteristically.

"Um, Juvia, are you feeling all right?" asked Mira. She sounded more like Lucy than Juvia. Speaking of Lucy, where was she? Mira finally spotted her hiding behind one of the pillars in the guild hall. What was she doing? Was that Erza sitting there at the table with a book in her hand? Granted, it wasn't unusual to see her reading, but she usually reserved that for evenings in her apartment.

"This is weird," Mira murmured. "Um, Levy? Was there anything odd about your job today?"

"I'm not sure what you mean by odd, but everything went according to plan," Levy answered thoughtfully. A loud shout made her head shoot around, and she gave a growl. "Dammit, can't they ever behave?!"