Security

Lucy sighed, head resting in her hand, as she stared out the window of the train at the scenery whizzing by. Soft snores sounded beside her and she absentmindedly stroked the spiky hair on the head that was resting on her lap. At least he was asleep and not turning green next to her, choking back the vomit that threatened to escape his mouth, as he moaned about his motion sickness.

At first, she had been relieved that both he and Happy had fallen asleep. The blue exceed - she loved him, but god knows he could be annoying, always teasing them about liking each other, or commenting on different things, just to get her going. Now, she actually missed the chatter he kept up as they both slept on the train. The sun was setting and soon, there would be nothing but blackness outside the window - not even the blur of trees for her to mindlessly stare at like she was doing now. As it was, the sun was behind them, so she couldn't even watch the sun's daily display as it set on the horizon.

Her book, now finished, lay on the seat across from her. She bit her lip, wishing she had brought another one, but who knew that one would read so quickly! Normally if she brought more than one on a trip she barely got halfway through the first one! How Levy did it - bringing stacks of books wherever she went - she didn't know.

She missed the companionship of the rest of the team, but it had only been the three of them to take this job - it had been too small for everyone else to join them. She wondered what Erza was doing now. Probably making some poor fool miserable and in pain, she grinned to herself. Juvia was probably also making a certain ice mage miserable - or at least he was pretending to be. Lucy believed he did like the water mage, but was afraid to show it. Wendy and Carla were hanging out with Chelia at Lamia Scale.

She absentmindedly rubbed a spot on her neck. It had been a while ago that Natsu had marked her for his "mate" and while that wasn't the reason they took this job without the team, the others honored Natsu's request when he asked to just work with Lucy. Not that Happy didn't tag along as well, Lucy rolled her eyes. Who knows what the others thought, but with the third wheel, it wasn't like they went to anywhere romantic. No, it was more the size of the job than the privacy.

Lucy blinked, surprised to find it completely dark outside. How long had she been lost in her own thoughts? At least Magnolia would be in the next couple of stops. Their train car was considerably emptier than when they first boarded. In fact, at the next stop, the last passengers besides the three of them, left. The silence of the empty train car was almost overwhelming. Lucy almost woke the two up, but decided she didn't need Happy's heckling nor Natsu's barf face. Let them sleep for now.

The sound of the door opening on their train car surprised her. The train was already moving, getting closer to Magnolia, so shouldn't everyone be settled in their seats? A group of three men stepped into the car, sliding the door shut behind them. Lucy didn't like to make snap judgments about people, but these guys didn't look very friendly. She picked up her book and pretended to read, so she could pretend she was so engrossed in her book, it would be okay to ignore them.

No luck.

"Hey there, cutie," called one out in a low voice, stopping at her row and leaning on the back of the seat. "What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?"

Lucy glanced up, gave them a polite smile and nod, then went back to her reading, hoping the guy would get the message.

Apparently not. Her book was taken out of her hands and tossed on the floor.

"Blondie! I'm talking to you! What? You don't think I'm good enough for you? You some snob or something?"

Lucy looked up at the man, her right hand drifting to her key pouch. Natsu wouldn't be much good in a situation like this on a moving vehicle, but maybe she could call Loke or Taurus if things got out of hand. She was trying hard to think of something witty but dismissive to say, but her mind was blank. So, she merely blinked at the guy, waiting for him to go on or hopefully, get disinterested.