Confessions

"So he still hasn't asked you out, huh?" Gray asked, sliding into a seat next to Lucy, who was sitting at the bar in the Guild Hall.

Lucy cast him a sideways glance, then looked over where Natsu and Happy were doing some sort of dance, to the amusement of Macao and Wakaba, who were shouting out suggestions of new moves.

She sighed, looking down at her drink. "No," she finally answered in a quiet voice. Gray had approached her several weeks ago and had blatantly asked her if she was interested in Natsu in a "romantic way" (as he had put it). She was shocked he had noticed but then again, Gray was a little more observant than most guys - when he wanted to be. Apparently that was one of those times. He had assured her that Natsu felt the same, only, he didn't know it yet. Gray offered to be her "coach" and help her open Natsu's eyes.

Each time had been a bigger failure. Special candelit dinner at Lucy's apartment? He and Happy had finished eating before she even had the chance to sit down, then with a loud belch and thanks, they had escaped out her window. Dressing sexily? Yeah, Lucy should have seen that wouldn't work. I mean, this is Natsu! The only thing he commented on was, "Do you have something in your eye, Luce? You keep blinking a lot." Trying to get him jealous? After a long discussion with Juvia to let her know that she and Gray were just playacting and Lucy was NOT a "love rival", Lucy was almost too exhausted to flirt with Gray. However, when Gray showered her with extra attention and touches (to the point that Lucy felt uncomfortable), Natsu just rolled his eyes and told them to watch out for Juvia.

"I think you're wrong," she said after her retrospective. "It's just a friend thing. I mean, I appreciate your help and everything but well," Lucy shrugged, "it's just not meant to be, you know?" She stared into her now empty glass.

Gray's shout startled her so bad, she almost fell out of her chair!

"Oi, Flame Brain! When are you going to ask Lucy out already?" Gray yelled across the Guild Hall, not only gaining the fire mage's attention, but everyone else's as well. Lucy felt her face go red.

"Whaddya talking about, Ice Princess?" Natsu yelled back, stopping his dance and staring at Gray, his hands on his hips. "We just went on a job the other day!"

"Idiot," Gray muttered, shaking his head.

"I heard that! You wanna fight or something?" Natsu grinned, making his way towards Gray and the bar.

"Ugh," Lucy groaned, burying her head in her arms on the bar. "I give up."

Gray sighed. "Sorry, Lucy." As Natsu got closer, Gray returned his grin. "Let's go at it, then!" he yelled, his shirt somehow flying off his body.

Lucy sighed, then decided to move to a safer location. Once those boys started, only Erza or a very ticked off Master could stop them.

"Thanks anyway, Gray," she muttered, grabbing her jacket from a nearby stool. Shrugging into it, she made her way to the door.

"Oi, Luce! Where ya going? I thought you wanted to do a job?" yelled Natsu, ducking a punch from Gray, as he watched his blonde teammate heading for the door.

Lucy shook her head, raised her hand in a farewell gesture, and left the Guild Hall.

She shivered as the cold air slapped her face as she stepped outside. The weather had gotten colder lately, although there was no sign of snow, she thought with regret. Nothing better than waking up in a world covered in white, she thought with a small smile. That, and it made the cold worth it, she thought with a shiver as the wind whipped around her.

Suddenly, she tripped and found herself flat on the ground. Groaning, she got up slowly, brushing the dirt and debris from her knees and legs, sighing when she saw a rip in her leggings.