Chapter 8 (David)

It's been almost four months with the kids. And honestly... they're great. 

Isa is still referring to me as "Papa". I find it less annoying though. (I kinda like it.) She does really good in school. Her teacher said that Isa has one of the biggest vocabularies she's ever seen for a first-grader.

I've been reading to her at night. (It's better than making up terrible stories.) She's so energetic and bright. She's just the kind of person that makes the sky bluer and the grass greener.

Jason's better at communicating. He has a friend named, Lyza Donahan. He denies that they're dating but I doubt that. Lyza's great. She's someone Jason can be himself around. (I think I'm a person he can be himself around now too.)

Vee hasn't punched any teachers recently.

A few detentions here and there, but she's getting better. She's started giving speeches about adoption and becoming a foster parent. It's something Zoe suggested. And, Vee's really good at it too.

I eavesdropped on the kids one night.

They all talked about their parents. I understand why Jason may not ever completely trust me, how Vee's skeptical of the future of this makeshift family, and why Isa so desperately needs parental figures in her life.

(And, I love them.)

I've seriously considered... I dunno... maybe adopting them when this trial thing is over. I know it's a big jump and really ambitious. I'd probably even have to move to someplace with multiple bedrooms. Considering the terrible weather we've had, a basement instead of an ancient bomb shelter.

I would do it. I would definitely do it.

Without a doubt, I would do it.

It was raining as usual. There was a meeting for the members of some organization of rich people, and Vee was giving a speech for them. Jason had to study for some test, and Isa wanted to stay with him. (I don't know how you would study with her around.)

We had another thunderstorm. (We had had them every day for a month now.) I doubted anything would happen, but I reminded Jason about the bomb shelter, just in case.

Vee was about to go and give a speech. She looked really nice, with her dress and her hair curled. She even lost that hat.

Even though she had done the same speech at least fifteen times in the last two months, she was still always nervous right beforehand.

"David, I'm scared," she whispered.

"You'll be fine." I put a hand on her shoulder.

"All these people look really judgy."

"So? Judge them back," I replied.

"That's rude," she said.

I shrugged. She slapped me lightly with the back of her hand and made a face.

The fancy lady at the podium finished talking about city accomplishments or whatnot and introduced Vee. (Who was wringing her hands at her seat.)

"Now I would like to introduce Victoria Perez. Here to speak about her experience in foster care."

The group clapped. Vee looked at me. I smiled back at her. She walked up to the stage.

"Hello, my name is Vee Perez." A thunderclap cut her off. She winced but continued. Lightning lit up the room.

"And I am one of the over 440 thousand children in foster care in the United States. I..."

More thunder. Louder than before.

"I've been through foster homes all across the state and..."

Sirens in the distance. It was a tornado warning.

"I've witnessed the types of people who..."

The sirens grew louder. Vee looked at me.

Someone stood up and told everyone to go to the basement.

Vee ran towards me. She looked terrified.

She grabbed my hand. I squeezed hers.

(This probably isn't serious. The warnings never really are.)

The group walked down some sketchy looking stairs to a basement that was littered with boxes. It was big enough for everyone to sit by themselves. Some called family members. Other's turned on the news.

Vee and I sat together in a corner. We were isolated from the rest of the people. I pulled up a live feed of comments on some local social media platform.

Don't ignore the sirens. My entire roof just flew off.- @Lexi_Lizard

Tornado touched down on Hargrove Dr., Mason Ave., and the Sherwood Development.-@MasonWether

Are phone lines down? I can't get ahold of my husband.-@Maximarcus

Tornado heading north towards the wooded area behind the library.-@Vince_likes_pizza

The wooded area behind the library? That's where my house was! That's where Jason and Isa were!